POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How should a ReplyTo: be handled by an OutOfOffice message? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:33:25 EDT (-0400)
  How should a ReplyTo: be handled by an OutOfOffice message? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: andrel
Subject: How should a ReplyTo: be handled by an OutOfOffice message?
Date: 18 Jul 2012 15:13:52
Message: <50070AF1.5090800@gmail.com>
I am using a number of different e-mails. Sometimes I find it useful to
supply a ReplyTo: field. At our hospital e-mail is handled by a
Outlook2010 server, that will send out of office messages to the From:
field address and not the ReplyTo: . Today I noticed that also another
mail server (type unknown) does this. Anyone know if this behaviour is
correct, permitted, or a bug?

Post a reply to this message

> I am using a number of different e-mails. Sometimes I find it useful to
> supply a ReplyTo: field. At our hospital e-mail is handled by a
> Outlook2010 server, that will send out of office messages to the From:
> field address and not the ReplyTo: . Today I noticed that also another
> mail server (type unknown) does this. Anyone know if this behaviour is
> correct, permitted, or a bug?

 From RFC 5322 (emphasis added):
    [...] When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it
    indicates the address(es) to which the author of the message SUGGESTS
    that replies be sent.

>> I am using a number of different e-mails. Sometimes I find it useful to
>> supply a ReplyTo: field. At our hospital e-mail is handled by a
>> Outlook2010 server, that will send out of office messages to the From:
>> field address and not the ReplyTo: . Today I noticed that also another
>> mail server (type unknown) does this. Anyone know if this behaviour is
>> correct, permitted, or a bug?
>
>  From RFC 5322 (emphasis added):
>     [...] When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it
>     indicates the address(es) to which the author of the message SUGGESTS
>     that replies be sent.

Thanks, so it is from the permitted category. Silly but allowed.

Any suggestion why you would prefer to not follow the suggestion?
Perhaps anything to do with SPAM?

Post a reply to this message

>>> I am using a number of different e-mails. Sometimes I find it useful to
>>> supply a ReplyTo: field. At our hospital e-mail is handled by a
>>> Outlook2010 server, that will send out of office messages to the From:
>>> field address and not the ReplyTo: . Today I noticed that also another
>>> mail server (type unknown) does this. Anyone know if this behaviour is
>>> correct, permitted, or a bug?
>>
>>  From RFC 5322 (emphasis added):
>>     [...] When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it
>>     indicates the address(es) to which the author of the message SUGGESTS
>>     that replies be sent.
>
> Thanks, so it is from the permitted category. Silly but allowed.
>
> Any suggestion why you would prefer to not follow the suggestion?
> Perhaps anything to do with SPAM?

Might be. Verifying that the address in the "From:" field belongs to the
sender of an e-mail is hard enough, but possible if people send their
e-mail via their provider rather than directly to the destination.
Verifying that the address in the "Reply-To:" field belongs to the
sender as well is next to impossible, because those are often addresses
from different providers. So an evildoer could send out messages with
faked Reply-To: field to an address that's currently served by an OOO
assistant, in order to swamp some other e-mail recipient with mails. And
if the OOO assistant quotes the original mail it can even be misused for
full-fledged spamming.

Another thing to remember is that the "Reply-To:" field is not only used
for rerouting replies, but also to have copies of a reply automatically
sent to other people to whom the topic may concern, as you can put
multiple addresses in there. If a mail server's OOO assistant would
indeed reply to all addresses in the "Reply-To:" field, it could quite
easily be misused for DOS attacks - against itself or against some other
mail server.

Post a reply to this message

>>>  From RFC 5322 (emphasis added):
>>>     [...] When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it
>>>     indicates the address(es) to which the author of the message
>>> SUGGESTS
>>>     that replies be sent.
>>
>> Thanks, so it is from the permitted category. Silly but allowed.
>>
>> Any suggestion why you would prefer to not follow the suggestion?
>> Perhaps anything to do with SPAM?
>
> Might be. Verifying that the address in the "From:" field belongs to the
> sender of an e-mail is hard enough, but possible if people send their
> e-mail via their provider rather than directly to the destination.

There are some colleagues that I can not reach by their normal address
because their server insists that every mail server that I tried (my own
domain, my hospital, even google) does no reply in a way that satisfies
that server. And I have had the same problem the other way around a few
years ago, when we had to resort to faxing papers to review because our
hospital refused the sender (without telling anybody, to make it worse).
So you do have a point, but it is even more complicated than you suggest
here.

> Verifying that the address in the "Reply-To:" field belongs to the
> sender as well is next to impossible, because those are often addresses
> from different providers. So an evildoer could send out messages with
> faked Reply-To: field to an address that's currently served by an OOO
> assistant, in order to swamp some other e-mail recipient with mails. And
> if the OOO assistant quotes the original mail it can even be misused for
> full-fledged spamming.
>
> Another thing to remember is that the "Reply-To:" field is not only used
> for rerouting replies, but also to have copies of a reply automatically
> sent to other people to whom the topic may concern, as you can put
> multiple addresses in there. If a mail server's OOO assistant would
> indeed reply to all addresses in the "Reply-To:" field, it could quite
> easily be misused for DOS attacks - against itself or against some other
> mail server.

That all sounds reasonable. Makes me want to fake a from field with
multiple addresses just to see how that is handled. But I won't.
Note that I do get e-mails from out of office and as undeliverable that
have a fake from field (i.e. mine).

All in all I think that for a (qualitatively) understaffed hospital like
ours you have enough arguments that it might probably be least
complicated to use the From: field. Thanks

--
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.

Post a reply to this message