POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random video Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:27:29 EDT (-0400)
  A random video (Message 1 to 10 of 33)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: A random video
Date: 24 Jun 2012 11:58:56
Message: <4fe73940$1@news.povray.org>
Hey, you like Myth Busters, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtGf0HaW7x4

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: A random video
Date: 24 Jun 2012 16:45:28
Message: <4fe77c68@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 16:58:58 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> Myth Busters

Who?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 24 Jun 2012 17:11:50
Message: <4fe78296$1@news.povray.org>
>> Myth Busters
>
> Who?

They're like Ghost Busters, but they're not real...

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 24 Jun 2012 19:06:05
Message: <4fe79d5d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.06.2012 17:58, schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
> Hey, you like Myth Busters, right?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtGf0HaW7x4

Seen that video before, but didn't know Myth Busters back then.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Jun 2012 19:29:12
Message: <4fe7a2c8$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 22:11:52 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> Myth Busters
>>
>> Who?
>
> They're like Ghost Busters, but they're not real...

I don't understand.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 24 Jun 2012 22:41:47
Message: <4fe7cfeb$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.06.2012 01:29, schrieb Jim Henderson:

>>> Who?
>>
>> They're like Ghost Busters, but they're not real...
>
> I don't understand.

Pun.

Truth is, Mythbusters is a show where these two guys - stuntmen by
profession - put myths, urban legends, and other stuff to the test.
Like, say, whether it is more dangerous to get an empty beer bottle
smacked across your head than a full one (busted). Or whether the story
of a police officer might be true that his badge stopped a bullet
(plausible). Or whether the ancient greeks might have employed a
"machine crossbow" (plausible). Or whether during the US civil war one
side had invented a steam-driven machine cannon (busted). Or whether the
Irish might have employed leather cannons with success (busted). Or
whether That Famous Incredible Youtube Video(TM) might actually be real
(typically busted). Or whether it is possible to explode a propane tank
by shooting at it. Or whether it is possible to ignite gasoline with a
cigarette / match / whatever. Or... well, name just about anything that
sounds weird (but might be plausible) or is taken for granted (but might
be a myth) and can be put to the test by (preferably destructive)
experiment.

Just look for "Mythbusters" on Youtube.

That 1000-tube paintball gun is absolutely their style.

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 04:41:46 +0200, clipka wrote:

> Pun.
>
> Truth is, Mythbusters is a show where these two guys - stuntmen by
> profession - put myths, urban legends, and other stuff to the test.
> Like, say, whether it is more dangerous to get an empty beer bottle
> smacked across your head than a full one (busted). Or whether the story
> of a police officer might be true that his badge stopped a bullet
> (plausible). Or whether the ancient greeks might have employed a
> "machine crossbow" (plausible). Or whether during the US civil war one
> side had invented a steam-driven machine cannon (busted). Or whether the
> Irish might have employed leather cannons with success (busted). Or
> whether That Famous Incredible Youtube Video(TM) might actually be real
> (typically busted). Or whether it is possible to explode a propane tank
> by shooting at it. Or whether it is possible to ignite gasoline with a
> cigarette / match / whatever. Or... well, name just about anything that
> sounds weird (but might be plausible) or is taken for granted (but might
> be a myth) and can be put to the test by (preferably destructive)
> experiment.
>
> Just look for "Mythbusters" on Youtube.
>
> That 1000-tube paintball gun is absolutely their style.

I had hoped that most here would recognise that I was pulling Andy's leg,
with a completely deadpan delivery.

The absurdity of not having heard of Mythbusters ranks up there with
someone who works in the technology business not knowing what Wired
magazine is or what an RSS feed is or how it might be beneficial.

The actual truth is that of *course* I know who the Mythbusters are.
I've seen them in one of their live touring shows, and have been a fan
for *years*.

My favourite explosion?  The cement mixer, naturally.  Wish the sound had
been captured better.

So I was just tweaking Andy's nose. ;)

Jim

Post a reply to this message