POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hmm. Think this has become a pet peeve... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Hmm. Think this has become a pet peeve... (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Hmm. Think this has become a pet peeve...
Date: 17 Jun 2012 00:35:41
Message: <4fdd5e9d$1@news.povray.org>
1. Motherboards usually have 5 holes for mounts.
2. They only ever give you enough stuff for 4 mount points.
3. The graphics card is right over the "middle" of the board, i.e., at
the "flexpoint", where there is no support, if you put all the mounts on
the corners.
4. First suggested fix for a card, and one sure fire way to destroy one,
if it doesn't glitch obviously while using it, is, "seat the card,
bending the boards slightly, thus risking a) the board breaking, or b)
the screws attaching the card to the case "pulling out" the card, from
its proper seating, on one end.

You would think someone would figure out this is enough of a problem
that either a) they would provide something to brace the middle of the
board, under these cards, or b) not make the cards so they could be
pulled out by the retaining screws.

But, at least, so far, the graphics glitches (and one huge BSD) I was
having recently have disappeared....

Post a reply to this message

Le 17/06/2012 06:35, Patrick Elliott nous fit lire :
> 1. Motherboards usually have 5 holes for mounts.

which size ? my 2 last MB have 9 holes. I do not remember for sure about
the previous one.

> 2. They only ever give you enough stuff for 4 mount points.

Sort of, yes, one of the screw is always a different kind.

> 3. The graphics card is right over the "middle" of the board, i.e., at
> the "flexpoint", where there is no support, if you put all the mounts on
> the corners.

AGP is dead, move to PCI-Express!

> 4. First suggested fix for a card, and one sure fire way to destroy one,
> if it doesn't glitch obviously while using it, is, "seat the card,
> bending the boards slightly, thus risking a) the board breaking, or b)
> the screws attaching the card to the case "pulling out" the card, from
> its proper seating, on one end.

If it does not enter easily, *do not* use a hammer, *check* the alignment.

> You would think someone would figure out this is enough of a problem
> that either a) they would provide something to brace the middle of the
> board, under these cards, or b) not make the cards so they could be
> pulled out by the retaining screws.
>
> But, at least, so far, the graphics glitches (and one huge BSD) I was
> having recently have disappeared....

When all you have is a hammer, everything look like nails... use the
right tool instead.

Post a reply to this message

On 6/17/2012 12:32 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 17/06/2012 06:35, Patrick Elliott nous fit lire :
>> 1. Motherboards usually have 5 holes for mounts.
>
> which size ? my 2 last MB have 9 holes. I do not remember for sure about
> the previous one.
>
>> 2. They only ever give you enough stuff for 4 mount points.
>
> Sort of, yes, one of the screw is always a different kind.
>
>> 3. The graphics card is right over the "middle" of the board, i.e., at
>> the "flexpoint", where there is no support, if you put all the mounts on
>> the corners.
>
> AGP is dead, move to PCI-Express!

Sorry, this is a PCI card. Its still more or less "center of board, on
back.", and thus suffers from the problem.

>> 4. First suggested fix for a card, and one sure fire way to destroy one,
>> if it doesn't glitch obviously while using it, is, "seat the card,
>> bending the boards slightly, thus risking a) the board breaking, or b)
>> the screws attaching the card to the case "pulling out" the card, from
>> its proper seating, on one end.
>
> If it does not enter easily, *do not* use a hammer, *check* the alignment.

Uh, came preinstalled. No problems for over a month or more, then
started seeing glitches. So, given they went away, once I reseated it, I
can only guess that it "pulled loose" a bit, over time.

>> You would think someone would figure out this is enough of a problem
>> that either a) they would provide something to brace the middle of the
>> board, under these cards, or b) not make the cards so they could be
>> pulled out by the retaining screws.
>>
>> But, at least, so far, the graphics glitches (and one huge BSD) I was
>> having recently have disappeared....
>
> When all you have is a hammer, everything look like nails... use the
> right tool instead.

Not sure of your point. I didn't install it originally, and as I said,
didn't have the problems until very recently. This problem has happened
twice for me, on two different systems. The prior case, which admittedly
was probably an old AGP, the main board itself actually had a structural
problem. The card couldn't seat properly because the slot itself was
damaged by inserting the card wrong. A problem that wouldn't have
happened, if the board wasn't allowed to flex under the card.