POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hmm. Think this has become a pet peeve... : Re: Hmm. Think this has become a pet peeve... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:25:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hmm. Think this has become a pet peeve...
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 17 Jun 2012 03:32:35
Message: <4fdd8813@news.povray.org>
Le 17/06/2012 06:35, Patrick Elliott nous fit lire :
> 1. Motherboards usually have 5 holes for mounts.

which size ? my 2 last MB have 9 holes. I do not remember for sure about
the previous one.

> 2. They only ever give you enough stuff for 4 mount points.

Sort of, yes, one of the screw is always a different kind.

> 3. The graphics card is right over the "middle" of the board, i.e., at
> the "flexpoint", where there is no support, if you put all the mounts on
> the corners.

AGP is dead, move to PCI-Express!

> 4. First suggested fix for a card, and one sure fire way to destroy one,
> if it doesn't glitch obviously while using it, is, "seat the card,
> bending the boards slightly, thus risking a) the board breaking, or b)
> the screws attaching the card to the case "pulling out" the card, from
> its proper seating, on one end.

If it does not enter easily, *do not* use a hammer, *check* the alignment.

> You would think someone would figure out this is enough of a problem
> that either a) they would provide something to brace the middle of the
> board, under these cards, or b) not make the cards so they could be
> pulled out by the retaining screws.
>
> But, at least, so far, the graphics glitches (and one huge BSD) I was
> having recently have disappeared....

When all you have is a hammer, everything look like nails... use the
right tool instead.