POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unreal engine 4 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Unreal engine 4 (Message 1 to 10 of 28)
From: Darren New
Subject: Unreal engine 4
Date: 8 Jun 2012 23:47:10
Message: <4fd2c73e$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvfn1p92_8

Amazing the level of visual computation people are achieving these days in
real time.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Unreal engine 4
Date: 9 Jun 2012 01:45:00
Message: <web.4fd2e1f344d3299f53c922450@news.povray.org>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvfn1p92_8
>
> Amazing the level of visual computation people are achieving these days in
> real time.

yes.

while we're at it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=h5mRRElXy-w#!

that's sweet real raytracing on nvidia's kepler.

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQB9ds2AYwM

some kind of Final Duty Fantasy that Square-Enix swears is a real-time demo
geared at nextgen platforms.  If that is the future of games, I suspect
Hollywood better embrace the tech.  Why shoot yet another movie that can only be
watched from same old boring angles?

I also question what's the point of povray or Blender these days in the face of
these kind of things.  Particularly in the case of raytracing (or pathtracing
for that matter) I think it's clear that scanline-based techniques won the
industry, be it Renderman (a scanline at its heart) or games (now with possibly
some raytracing for reflections at least).

The end?  No, the beginning of some exciting times ahead!  Now games have fully
convincing human skin, HDR global illumination, DOF and motion blur, plus run at
magnificent 1080+p at 60FPS.  The time of real-time CGs is upon us.

Post a reply to this message

holy crap, the Square demo really is real-time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q9xhFpuIMX4