POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Impossible photograph Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  Impossible photograph (Message 11 to 20 of 28)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: Impossible photograph
Date: 2 Jun 2012 15:15:01
Message: <web.4fca65c77efbccb695d126010@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Every now and then, you have to stop and wonder "how is this possible?"
>
> http://tinyurl.com/28gh5qw
>
> How the holy hell do you make a camera lens /that/ shape? And what the
> heck is holding the camera up??

As others have mentioned, it's a stitched composite from at least 4 shots
(probably more), probably using a fisheye lens or at least a very wide angle
rectilinear lens on a DSLR. The camera would probably have been mounted on a
tripod using a special pano bracket like this:

http://www.nodalninja.com/

Plenty of dedicated software for pano stitching:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_photo_stitching_applications

I personally like Hugin:

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

because it's open source and awesome. There's lots of interesting tutorials
linked from the hugin site, including images like the one you linked to.

You don't necessarily need expensive kit to have a go at this sort of thing, I
made this panorama myself shooting freehand with a midrange compact
point-and-shoot:

http://www.infradead.org/~wmp/new_panoramas/paris_sept_11/paris04_tour_eiffel02.jpg

:)

Post a reply to this message