POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Windows growing over time is now an official feature Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Windows growing over time is now an official feature (Message 21 to 27 of 27)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Windows growing over time is now an official feature
Date: 28 May 2012 14:34:05
Message: <4fc3c51d$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 28 May 2012 14:14:21 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> Yeah, but manually doing that for 30 PCs isn't much fun.
>>
>> Can't you push a .reg that does it automagically?
>
> There's probably a way of doing it. It's not particularly simple though.

We used to do this with 6,000 PCs at a place I worked at.

There are tools to do this, and they're not difficult to use.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 29 May 2012 08:57:02
Message: <4fc4c79e@news.povray.org>
Le 2012-05-28 09:14, Invisible a écrit :
>>> Yeah, but manually doing that for 30 PCs isn't much fun.
>>
>> Can't you push a .reg that does it automagically?
>
> There's probably a way of doing it. It's not particularly simple though.

Type "disable compress old files" in Google.  while the two first
entries appear legitimate, the third option is:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812248
Which tells you exactly which key to delete, just like Darren said, and
is free from publicity.

Now, to automate the task, you can type ".reg file format" in Google.
"I'm feeling lucky" should send you to:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516

Tada!

There's a link at the bottom of that knowledge-base article that
explains how to distribute it using group policies.

How much simpler did you want it to be?

>>> I think NT4 offered it, but I don't think XP does.
>>
>> Yes it does. There's a checkmark at the top of the Add/Remove Programs
>> window that allows you to see all of the patches and remove them
>> individually, if you want to.
>
> No, not uninstall the update, but remove the uninstall capability.

I'm sorry.  Your complete sentence from the previous message was:

To most readers of the english language, it would appear that you wanted
to be able to delete old OS updates.  If you wanted to be able to
prevent someone from deleting an OS update, you worded it very poorly.