POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Windows growing over time is now an official feature : Re: Windows growing over time is now an official feature Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows growing over time is now an official feature
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Jun 2012 16:14:58
Message: <4fca7442@news.povray.org>
On 5/28/2012 1:02, Invisible wrote:
> Yeah, but manually doing that for 30 PCs isn't much fun.

Not unless you automate it, no.

> Oh, really? I thought it just contains a redundant copy of all the recently
> used DLLs so Windows doesn't have to search for them again.

No. If it was doing that, it would use a different structure rather than
copying the entire DLL, don't you think?

> Clearly the dire warnings of "this is why Windows gradually slows down" were
> wrong.

They often are.

>> They did SP3, which was a rollup of everything up until they basically
>> stopped supporting it. Honestly not sure if XP has SxS in this form.
>
> It probably doesn't. It seems to generate a folder like
>
> C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB485734654$
>
> for every single update it installs. So if you open the WINDOWS folder, you
> have to scroll past several billion of these folders before you get to the
> thing you were actually looking for - which is a bit annoying.

That's pre SxS, so I guess if you're worried about it, you delete the
uninstall folders. That's how I always cleaned up.

>> Wait for Windows 8? There's a limit on how much you can do on each
>> release of an OS. :-)
>
> I don't see why that would be a problem for the biggest software producer on
> Earth, but hey...

It takes 9 months to make a baby regardless of how many women you assign.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"