POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prelude to a puzzle Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Prelude to a puzzle (Message 69 to 78 of 78)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Prelude to a puzzle
Date: 22 May 2012 05:28:23
Message: <4fbb5c37@news.povray.org>
On 22/05/2012 09:22 AM, scott wrote:
>> More like, failure is something I /expect/, as a matter of course.
>> Success isn't something I see very often...
>
> To be successful you need to put in the practise, I learned this a long
> time ago. I thought I would just pick up a guitar, learn the mechanics
> of how to play it and then be able to play songs. Nope, it doesn't work
> like that. The people you see able to play songs on instruments have
> practised for a long time, there's no way around it.
>
> Think how much time you've spent on Haskell, I'm sure if you'd spent
> that time on the violin instead you'd be pretty expert by now.

Well, I've been playing keyboards since I was 9 years old. I mean, I'm
OK, but I'm still not fantastic at it...

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 22 May 2012 05:44:34
Message: <4fbb6002$1@news.povray.org>
> Well, I've been playing keyboards since I was 9 years old. I mean, I'm
> OK, but I'm still not fantastic at it...

I've also been walking for 30 years, but I'd never win an olympic
walking event.  To become fantastic at something you need to practise
properly.  This means always pushing yourself to the next level as hard
as you can and not just endlessly repeating what you are already good
at.  This is why you have a teacher or a coach to help you.  And also
why I suck at guitar and keyboard - I spend ages learning one song and
then just play that endlessly, much to the annoyance of everybody else :-)

Post a reply to this message

>> Well, I've been playing keyboards since I was 9 years old. I mean, I'm
>> OK, but I'm still not fantastic at it...
>
> I've also been walking for 30 years, but I'd never win an olympic
> walking event.

Unrelated, but I saw a record-breaking moonwalk attempt. The... thing
that won it was dressed exactly like Michael Jackson, and kept
repeatedly grabbing itself and singing "we-heeeee!" in a bizarre
high-pitched voice. And when they awarded it the new world record
certificate, it wept and said "I did it for Michael".

True fact: Some people are really messed up.

> To become fantastic at something you need to practise
> properly. This means always pushing yourself to the next level as hard
> as you can and not just endlessly repeating what you are already good
> at. This is why you have a teacher or a coach to help you. And also why
> I suck at guitar and keyboard - I spend ages learning one song and then
> just play that endlessly, much to the annoyance of everybody else :-)

I'm not sure it /gets/ much more "next level" than Bach. ;-) But sure, I
take your point.

Come to think of it, I'm trying to think of a talent I could even
hypothetically possess which would actually impress anybody. It seems
people are just hard to impress. "Oh, you can play violin? Sure, so can
every orchestra I've ever seen. Big deal." "Oh, so you can dance? Big
deal, Harry Judd learned how to do every dance there is in just 12
weeks." "You can do maths? Yeah, so can every college teacher in the
country." It's actually surprisingly difficult to come up with things
that would impress the average person on the street...

Post a reply to this message

> Come to think of it, I'm trying to think of a talent I could even
> hypothetically possess which would actually impress anybody. It seems
> people are just hard to impress. "Oh, you can play violin? Sure, so can
> every orchestra I've ever seen. Big deal." "Oh, so you can dance? Big
> deal, Harry Judd learned how to do every dance there is in just 12
> weeks." "You can do maths? Yeah, so can every college teacher in the
> country." It's actually surprisingly difficult to come up with things
> that would impress the average person on the street...

People will be impressed if you state your level of expertise or actual
achievements.  Not just I play violin, but I play in xxx orchestra or
have played in xxx concert hall.  Not just I race karts at weekends, but
I finished 3rd in the under 18 national championship.  Not just I write
code, but I wrote code for a game/app that sold x million copies.

If you haven't got any achievements like that, then practise some more
and push yourself to get some! (assuming you want to impress people)

Post a reply to this message

>    All this talk about violins makes be think of this:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLgBejh5TLA

OK, so I'm never playing that. If nothing else, because it sounds awful...

(Having said that, I do often find the bow bouncing like that when I
don't actually want it to.)

Post a reply to this message

> >    All this talk about violins makes be think of this:
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLgBejh5TLA

> OK, so I'm never playing that. If nothing else, because it sounds awful...

> (Having said that, I do often find the bow bouncing like that when I
> don't actually want it to.)

  AFAIK that's the way it's written in the original score by Paganini.
It's too difficult to play for most violinists, which is why they don't.
Only a few people in the world can play it like Paganini did.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> On 21/05/2012 08:45 PM, Warp wrote:
>>>     All this talk about violins makes be think of this:
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLgBejh5TLA
>
>> OK, so I'm never playing that. If nothing else, because it sounds awful...
>
>> (Having said that, I do often find the bow bouncing like that when I
>> don't actually want it to.)
>
>    AFAIK that's the way it's written in the original score by Paganini.
> It's too difficult to play for most violinists, which is why they don't.
> Only a few people in the world can play it like Paganini did.

Yeah, the comments on the video said as much. And that /does/ sound like
something Paganini would do...

Post a reply to this message