POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The US and gay marriage Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  The US and gay marriage (Message 11 to 20 of 30)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: The US and gay marriage
Date: 12 May 2012 17:25:37
Message: <4faed551$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/12/2012 13:01, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2012 12:18:32 -0300, nemesis wrote:
>
>>> Even genetic classification (23th pair of chromosom for human: XX vs
>>> XY)
>>> is unreliable. There is also a few XXY, XXYY and XYY , how are you to
>>> call them ?
>>
>> freaks.
>
> Ah, there's some of that famous Christian compassion.

Did you miss the part where it's a line from a commedian?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 May 2012 17:40:38
Message: <4faed8d6$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 12 May 2012 14:25:35 -0700, Darren New wrote:

>>> freaks.
>>
>> Ah, there's some of that famous Christian compassion.
>
> Did you miss the part where it's a line from a commedian?

Adapted from a line from a comedian, yes, I saw that.  I've also heard
Chris Rock's routine.

I don't recall him using the word "freaks", though.

But if the entire thing was a quote, then nemesis may have my apologies.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

Em 12/05/2012 18:40, Jim Henderson escreveu:
> On Sat, 12 May 2012 14:25:35 -0700, Darren New wrote:

>>> Ah, there's some of that famous Christian compassion.
>>
>> Did you miss the part where it's a line from a commedian?
>
> Adapted from a line from a comedian, yes, I saw that.  I've also heard
> Chris Rock's routine.
>
> I don't recall him using the word "freaks", though.
>
> But if the entire thing was a quote, then nemesis may have my apologies.

yes, no freaks.  But that's the right term here.

and no, I'm not Christian.  Hey, I'm now just as atheist, depraved,
hopeless and boring as you guys, how funky is that?

Post a reply to this message

>>> Did you miss the part where it's a line from a commedian?
>>
>> Adapted from a line from a comedian, yes, I saw that. I've also heard
>> Chris Rock's routine.
>>
>> I don't recall him using the word "freaks", though.
>>
>> But if the entire thing was a quote, then nemesis may have my apologies.

Whether it was a quote or not it shows a great lack of understanding for
people whose lives are difficult enough.

> yes, no freaks. But that's the right term here.
>
> and no, I'm not Christian. Hey, I'm now just as atheist, depraved,
> hopeless and boring as you guys, how funky is that?

Not very "funky" at all. That is the sort of comment that belittles
people who have thought seriously about the subject. If you don't mind
me saying and even if you do.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>>> Adapted from a line from a comedian, yes, I saw that. I've also heard
>>> Chris Rock's routine.
>>>
>>> I don't recall him using the word "freaks", though.
>>>
>>> But if the entire thing was a quote, then nemesis may have my apologies.
>>

> Whether it was a quote or not it shows a great lack of understanding for
> people whose lives are difficult enough.
>
>> yes, no freaks. But that's the right term here.
>>
>> and no, I'm not Christian. Hey, I'm now just as atheist, depraved,
>> hopeless and boring as you guys, how funky is that?
>
> Not very "funky" at all. That is the sort of comment that belittles
> people who have thought seriously about the subject. If you don't mind
> me saying and even if you do.

well, I was not really expecting a warming "welcome to the club"
attitude from other fellow atheists.

hmm, belittle... making little of someone?... everyday a new word...

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 13 May 2012 00:08:01 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> Whether it was a quote or not it shows a great lack of understanding for
> people whose lives are difficult enough.

Yup.

>> yes, no freaks. But that's the right term here.
>>
>> and no, I'm not Christian. Hey, I'm now just as atheist, depraved,
>> hopeless and boring as you guys, how funky is that?
>
> Not very "funky" at all. That is the sort of comment that belittles
> people who have thought seriously about the subject. If you don't mind
> me saying and even if you do.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Stephen.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 12 May 2012 20:16:36 -0300, nemesis wrote:

>>> and no, I'm not Christian. Hey, I'm now just as atheist, depraved,
>>> hopeless and boring as you guys, how funky is that?

[...]

> well, I was not really expecting a warming "welcome to the club"
> attitude from other fellow atheists.

That's a very strange way to "come out" as an atheist.  Maybe it loses
something in the translation to a written medium.

Of course, if you actually have, then of course *welcome to reality*!

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> yes, no freaks. But that's the right term here.

Technically true. They have something unusual about their appearance or
behavior. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"
   "Don't panic. There's beans and filters
    in the cabinet."

Post a reply to this message

Le 13/05/2012 16:47, Darren New nous fit lire :
> On 5/12/2012 15:57, nemesis wrote:
>> yes, no freaks. But that's the right term here.
>
> Technically true. They have something unusual about their appearance or
> behavior. :-)

Who does not ?

Post a reply to this message

> Le 13/05/2012 16:47, Darren New nous fit lire :
>> On 5/12/2012 15:57, nemesis wrote:
>>> yes, no freaks. But that's the right term here.
>>
>> Technically true. They have something unusual about their appearance or
>> behavior. :-)
>>

> Who does not ?

Lots of people. Please do distinguish "unusual" from "non-unique".