POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complex numbers Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Complex numbers (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Complex numbers
Date: 7 May 2012 17:09:14
Message: <4fa839fa$1@news.povray.org>
Question: Why can't you extend the complex numbers to 3D space?

Answer: Because the hairy ball theorem says so.

Yes, that's right. There really is a theorem called "the hairy ball
theorem". Isn't that wonderful? :-D

Perhaps even more satisfyingly, what this theorem /says/ isn't some
obscure exotic thing that only a mathematician could understand.
Actually, it just says you can't comb the hair on a ball flat. You
always end up with at least one tufty bit. (You /can/ comb the hair flat
on a flat plane, a torus, or a number of other 3D shapes. Just not a
sphere.)

Post a reply to this message

Le 07/05/2012 23:09, Orchid Win7 v1 nous fit lire :
> Question: Why can't you extend the complex numbers to 3D space?
>
> Answer: Because the hairy ball theorem says so.
>
> Yes, that's right. There really is a theorem called "the hairy ball
> theorem". Isn't that wonderful? :-D
>
> Perhaps even more satisfyingly, what this theorem /says/ isn't some
> obscure exotic thing that only a mathematician could understand.
> Actually, it just says you can't comb the hair on a ball flat. You
> always end up with at least one tufty bit. (You /can/ comb the hair flat
> on a flat plane, a torus, or a number of other 3D shapes. Just not a
> sphere.)

It's even more deeper. The theorem says you cannot comb a sphere of odd
dimension, but that even dimension is ok.
(2D sphere == circle, 4D sphere is left as an exercise)

That's also why, even if complex cannot be extended in 3D, they can in
4D. (look at quaternion...

Notice that there is a meteorological application of the theorem: there
is always on earth at least one place where the horizontal speed of wind
is null.

Post a reply to this message