POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complex numbers : Re: Complex numbers Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complex numbers
From: Darren New
Date: 7 May 2012 21:53:24
Message: <4fa87c94@news.povray.org>
On 5/7/2012 14:09, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> Question: Why can't you extend the complex numbers to 3D space?

Someone also figured out that you can do probability with 1D numbers and 2D
numbers, but not any higher dimensions. The speculation is that's why
quantum effects have the same math as waves and not something either "common
sense" or more baroque than they are.

I.e., you can do math on "the probability that X happens given that Y
happens" and deal with "and" and "or" and Bayesian probabilities, using
either real numbers or complex numbers, but not 3D numbers.

I don't understand the proof myself, but so I'm told.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"