POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NCIS Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:25:13 EDT (-0400)
  NCIS (Message 1 to 10 of 34)
From: Invisible
Subject: NCIS
Date: 27 Apr 2012 05:14:24
Message: <4f9a6370$1@news.povray.org>
I'm a big fan of the TV series NCIS. But sometimes it really makes me laugh.

For those that don't know, the series follows the exploits of a
fictional team working for the US Navel Criminal Investigative Service.
Considering it's a show about people who investigate murders and other
violent crimes, it's actually surprisingly humorous. Naturally every
investigation is different, and the guy who did it is never, ever who
you think it was.

The characters are pretty much what you'd expect:

- There's the team leader, the intense, silent authority figure that
everybody both fears and deeply respects. He has a strong sense of moral
justice and can be guaranteed to always do what's right, regardless of
what the rule book says. He can read people like a book, he knows how to
make people talk, and he always figures it out before everybody else
does. Being an older guy, he is completely inept with any technology
more modern than a telephone.

- There's the wildcard. The smug, annoying, arrogant self-important
jerk. Always wisecracking, always quoting obscure movie references. He
thinks he is The Big, Mr Big, The Cool Guy. And the ladies are always
all over him - as he constantly reminds everybody, every three seconds.
In short, he has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. And yet, everybody
really likes him, for no defined reason.

- There's the obligatory computer nerd. He can crack any cipher, and
hack any computer system. (Unless it doesn't suit the script writer for
today's episode.) Naturally, the guy is a high-calibre wimp. Oh, he will
tackle people to the ground. But somehow he manages to make even that
look wimpy. And he's really easy to intimidate. (Although, there was
that one episode... nevermind.)

- There's the Israeli girl on loan from Mossad. She's very beautiful
(but not stereotypically so), absurdly dangerous in close combat, and
fiercely loyal. Highly intelligent, exquisitely skilled in observation
and deception. In her country, when a suspect is interviewed, the
interview does not always end with the suspect still alive. (Apparently
that's illegal somehow in America.) She speaks a dozen languages, yet
seems oddly unfamiliar with American customs. Stereotypically, she is
forever getting various figures of speech wrong. ("Does a bear sit in
the woods?")

- The medical examiner, an old wise man with a degree in psychology and
a stereotypical English accent. He talks to the dead people he dissects,
and has a strong tendency to conclude almost every observation with
"...you know, this reminds me of my days at XYZ when a rather unusual
event occurred. Yes, it was -" Uh, dude, this case??

- The ME's enthusiastic, bright, but inexperienced assistant.

- The forensic scientist and ballistics expert. She's a goth. She sleeps
in a coffin and struts around a lab wearing the most ridiculous outfits
under her lab coat. Obviously, she's brilliant at her job. She's also a
big-time computer nerd, and apparently cannot function correctly without
a constant supply of a mysterious substance known as "Caf-Pow".

If you look at that list for more than a few seconds, it ought to be
obvious that all of these people are /highly/ unsuitable for working at
NCIS. I don't care how much of a forensics genius you are, if you dress
like something out of a comic book and are prone to highly impulsive
behaviour, you wouldn't be hired to work in a criminal laboratory. And
if you disregard the rules every time you think justice isn't being done
right, you won't be in your job very long, much less the leader of an
investigation team.

Throughout the series, the team leader also has various highly
implausible alliances and confrontations with the Director of NCIS (a
post that has been filled by several actors to date), the Secretary of
the Navy, and various shadowy FBI figures.

So, this is fiction, right? But it's entertaining fiction.

Sometimes I have to wonder though... Who is their scientific advisor?
And do they know what they're talking about?

A few specific tips:

- CCTV footage does *not* look exactly the same as studio camera footage
but with a bit of extra static added in post-production. It looks grainy
and unrecognisable, and it's usually black and white. :-P

- You *cannot* take CCTV footage, enlarge it 20x, "run an imagine
enhancement algorithm" and then read a car numberplate from 300 yards.
It doesn't work like that. (Amusingly, this trick only works when it
furthers the plot. When the script writers don't want the killer to be
found yet, mysteriously the picture can't quite be enhanced enough to be
readable...)

- Examining a secret hidden radio transmitter does *not* allow you to
"triangulate" where the receiver is. It also does *not* matter whether
the transmitter is active or not while you do this. Having multiple such
transmitters also does *not* help.

- You do *not* need two independent Internet data streams directed at
the same destination to "triangulate" where that destination is.

- IP addresses are generally *not* "registered" to individual human
beings in the same way that telephone numbers are. Generally they are
just registered to your ISP (for home customers) or your employer (if
you're doing this from your place of work).

- If an attacker is "marking their signal by bouncing it off proxy
servers all over the world", the geographic locations of those servers
do not magically pop up on a world map when you try to "backtrace the
signal".

- A pillow is not the same as a gun silencer.

- Even silenced guns are still PRETTY DAMNED LOUD.

- There is no such thing as "a steganography detection algorithm".
That's kind of the entire *point* of steganography; you can't detect it.

- "DAMN! The files are password-protected. Hmm... I know! Password
cracker!" This is *not* a brilliant logical deduction. This is basic
standard operating procedure for any computer forensics department. They
do this stuff every single day, for goodness' sake!

- If you "upload the firmware" from a device onto your computer, it
*canoot* infect your computer with a virus that secretly steals your
data or modifies computer evidence. You see, a virus doesn't *do*
anything - anything at all - unless you actually *run* it. Any
half-competent computer forensics expert wouldn't make such a mistake.
Plus the "firmware" on a device is usually not runnable on a desktop PC
in the first place. (Not that this prevents hiding a PC virus somewhere
inside the firmware image...)

Also, something bothers me: I'm PRETTY SURE that if a suspect refuses to
give you a DNA sample, then you CANNOT simply offer them a drink, and
then lift their fingerprints and DNA from the glass afterwards. It
strikes me that there must be some kind of LAW against that kind of
thing. (Otherwise why would you even need consent in the first place?)

Post a reply to this message