POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The game Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:30:57 EDT (-0400)
  The game (Message 41 to 50 of 54)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: The game
Date: 8 Apr 2012 18:22:26
Message: <4f820fa2$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/8/2012 13:08, nemesis wrote:
> Uncharted and God of War for Playstation 3 are 2 modern 3D games that have
> as much perfect and solid good old 16-bit side-scroller feel to them as
> possible in a 3D world. Seriously, action games need not be just FPS...

Uncharted as a 3D side-scroller?  That's ... a novel way of looking at it.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 8 Apr 2012 20:33:08
Message: <4f822e44@news.povray.org>
Em 08/04/2012 19:22, Darren New escreveu:
> On 4/8/2012 13:08, nemesis wrote:
>> Uncharted and God of War for Playstation 3 are 2 modern 3D games that
>> have
>> as much perfect and solid good old 16-bit side-scroller feel to them as
>> possible in a 3D world. Seriously, action games need not be just FPS...
>
> Uncharted as a 3D side-scroller? That's ... a novel way of looking at it.

Sure, there's plenty of shooting and brawling, but the focus is on
exploration and platforming.  It reminds me very much of classic
side-scrollers such as Castlevania, Flashback, Blackthorne and even Pitfall.

of course, its more direct lineage is Tomb Raider, which was an early
attempt at bringing side-scrolling action into 3D.

Post a reply to this message

>> Uncharted as a 3D side-scroller? That's ... a novel way of looking at it.
>
> Sure, there's plenty of shooting and brawling, but the focus is on
> exploration and platforming. It reminds me very much of classic
> side-scrollers such as Castlevania, Flashback, Blackthorne and even Pitfall.

I didn't say it was wrong. I said it was novel. :-) I can see that, yes.
Certainly much the same sort of gameplay, at least if you leave out the
story-driven nature of Uncharted.