POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scale invariance Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:16:10 EDT (-0400)
  Scale invariance (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Scale invariance
Date: 27 Mar 2012 05:44:09
Message: <4f718be9$1@news.povray.org>
Mountains. Titanic monoliths of granite, stretching towards infinity,
obscuring the sky and blotting out the Sun itself. Massive cathedrals of
vastness, their shoulders covered in snow, their crowns wreathed in
cloud. Mighty forests cling to their sides, seemingly nothing more than
an inconsequential layer of algae. All of Mankind's skilful artifice is
rendered moot, insignificant, /irrelevant/ before the incomprehensible
magnitude of these indomitable mountains. A tangled network of crazy
roads criss-cross their sides, and entire cities cling to their sides
like mere specks of dust. Our most magnificent creations are barely
noticeable besides the almighty scale of these monsters.

The mountains exhibit a bemusing degree of scale-invariance. That face
over there looks for all the world like the broken edge of a small
pebble that one might find on a beach. And yet, nestling snugly in one
of the seemingly small cracks is an entire city! The sight simply defies
cognition - intellectually trivial, yet emotionally unfathomable. It is
difficult to believe that such things /exist/ in the real world. This is
more like some kind of demented fantasy, some fantastical delusion of a
madman. The mind simply cannot assimilate these things. To see the
awesome majesty of Mother Nature and her complete indifference to
Mankind's petty trivialities makes one feel very, very small.

Post a reply to this message