POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scale invariance : Re: Scale invariance Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:28:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scale invariance
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 29 Mar 2012 06:16:30
Message: <4f74367e$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/03/2012 10:44 AM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> All of Mankind's skilful artifice is
> rendered moot, insignificant, /irrelevant/ before the incomprehensible
> magnitude of these indomitable mountains. A tangled network of crazy
> roads criss-cross their sides, and entire cities cling to their sides
> like mere specks of dust. Our most magnificent creations are barely
> noticeable besides the almighty scale of these monsters.

Some data:

The world's tallest building is rather less than 1km in height. My hotel
was at 1730m, and was still nowhere near the summit. Some of the ski
runs are easily higher than 2km at the top, and /still/ nowhere near the
summit. Apparently the /tallest/ mountain in the Alps is almost 5km, but
they're all pretty tall.

(According to Wikipedia, the tallest building in the world is the
impronouncible Burj Khalifa, standing at 830m. The next tallest is a
mere 601m, and the next is only 509m. After that, they start doing down
in smaller decrements. Any of these magnificent structures would simply
/vanish/ in the Geneva valley...)