POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Psychology of comparing numbers Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Psychology of comparing numbers (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Psychology of comparing numbers
Date: 6 Mar 2012 14:13:42
Message: <4f5661e6@news.povray.org>
I was thinking of how numbers are mentally approximated, and the fact
that (at least to me) it seems there's a sense in which 1 and 1000 are
more "mentally distinct" than a billion and a trillion, even though both
differ by a factor of a thousand and the latter are far more different
in absolute terms.  A cute and illustrative little math puzzle arose
from this musing.

Assume exponentiation is right-associative, so a^b^c = a^(b^c).  Now
consider the two similar-appearing numbers A and B where:

A = 10^10^10^11
B = 10^10^10^10

In a psychological sense these numbers seem pretty similar to me, but
just how different are they mathematically?  Consider the ratio A/B
measuring how many times bigger A is than B.  It's interesting to
consider how accurately you can estimate this ratio without calculating
it explicitly.  For instance, is it true that A/B is greater than a
trillion (than is, A is more than a trillion times bigger than B)?

More explicitly, let's write:

A/B = 10^10^10^x

Obviously x is less than 11, and it turns out it's greater than -11.
It's an interesting experiment to make an intuitive "gut instinct" guess
as to the correct value of x without calculating anything, and then
actually calculate it out in full and see how accurate your intuition is.

Post a reply to this message

On 3/6/2012 11:13 AM, Kevin Wampler wrote:

> A = 10^10^10^11
> B = 10^10^10^10
> A/B = 10^10^10^x

Note: My newsreader tries to be too smart and utterly botches the
formatting of these equations.  They should read equivalently to:

A = 10^(10^(10^11))
B = 10^(10^(10^10))
A/B = 10^(10^(10^x))

Post a reply to this message