POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ancient history Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Ancient history (Message 9 to 18 of 28)
<<< Previous 8 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Ancient history
Date: 5 Mar 2012 22:17:11
Message: <4f5581b7@news.povray.org>
On 3/5/2012 3:26, Invisible wrote:
> Ooo, check this out:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/67c4p8

"Imagine a college freshman made out of gigabytes. This would be his dorm room."

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Invisible
Date: 6 Mar 2012 04:11:49
Message: <4f55d4d5$1@news.povray.org>
>> OTOH, it seems that any equipment that says "rack mountable" on it is
>> instantly 5x the price, for no apparent reason...
>
> Of course, the engineering that goes in designing the special connectors
> to power and manage these boards, as well as keep them ventilated comes
> free of charge, in your world...

What "special connectors"?

Buy a UPS that sits under your desk. That's £50. Buy a UPS that is rack
mountable. That's £800, minimum. Sure, they probably don't sell rack UPS
with capacities as low as they do for the desktop. But 16x the price?
Really? For a battery and an inverter?

Buy a 12-port desktop switch. £30, maybe? Now buy a rack mountable one.
That'll be £200 please. Sure, it's physically bigger. There's more metal
in it. Metal costs money. But does it cost /that/ much money?

(Before anyone asks - no, just because it can be rack mounted, that does
/not/ mean it has management features. When I joined the company, we had
a whole rack full of switches, all rack mounted, none of them managed.
And all about £400 each.)

Redundant power supplies cost extra. RAID controllers cost extra.
Hot-swap drive bays cost extra. And yet, a server that has these costs
nowhere near as much as a rack-mount server. Now sure, making something
like a server actually small enough to be rack mounted is nontrivial.
There's a reason laptops cost 5x the price of a similar desktop. I
understand that. But for goodness' sake, if you make a /wire clamp/
that's rack mountable, suddenly it goes from being £2 to £80. It's like
it's a license to print money...

Post a reply to this message