POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trouble with large directory in Linux Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:29:29 EDT (-0400)
  Trouble with large directory in Linux (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Trouble with large directory in Linux
Date: 2 Mar 2012 13:42:34
Message: <4f51149a$1@news.povray.org>
Le 02/03/2012 06:42, Darren New nous fit lire :
> On 2/28/2012 19:30, Kevin Wampler wrote:
>> I did try exactly this actually, it printed "." and nothing else
>
> Hmmm. There's a flag you can pass to find to turn off the optimization
> of counting the number of links on "." and not recursing afterwards, or
> something. I wonder if that would have helped. I wasn't aware find tried
> itself in the directory (other than ".") or some such. I suspect file
> system corruption.

I'm more thinking about it: by default, it (ls) will try to sort the
filenames in alphabetical order... find the switch to disable that!

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 2 Mar 2012 22:10:40
Message: <4f518bb0$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/2/2012 10:42 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:

> I'm more thinking about it: by default, it (ls) will try to sort the
> filenames in alphabetical order... find the switch to disable that!

This is an excellent point, although I did at least check that find
wasn't trying to sort things when I ran it (it wasn't).  Totally forgot
that ls would do that though.

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 2 Mar 2012 22:12:57
Message: <4f518c39$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/1/2012 9:42 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 2/28/2012 19:30, Kevin Wampler wrote:
>> I did try exactly this actually, it printed "." and nothing else
>
> I suspect file system corruption.

This has been a worry of mine too, although everything else seems to be
fine, and deleting the files did eventually work.  I also am starting to
wonder if there's something with the particular Linux distro I was
using, since the more I think about it the more I feel that it ran a
little *too* well on the big machine, I'll poke around a bit more when I
get back from vacation and see if i can figure out anything else.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 2 Mar 2012 23:50:24
Message: <4f51a310$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/2/2012 10:42, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> I'm more thinking about it: by default, it (ls) will try to sort the
> filenames in alphabetical order... find the switch to disable that!

That's why I sugested just "find . -print". "find" doesn't try to sort the
output. (glob sorts the output also.)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)