POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:12:17 EDT (-0400)
  PIPA and SOPA (Message 169 to 178 of 188)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: PIPA and SOPA
Date: 5 Feb 2012 18:05:35
Message: <4f2f0b3f$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 11:19:04 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>> It's time consuming to visit 100 sites to see if there's anything new.
>> It's far easier to be alerted when there's something new that might be
>> of interest.
>
> 100 sites?! o_O
>
> Damn, you actually follow that much stuff? Jees...

Yes, I do.  Now for things like Slashdot or The Register, I skim
headlines in Google Reader.  I don't always read the full article - but
if a headline is intriguing, I'll dig in a little deeper.

With Slashdot, if I read the headline and it looks interesting, I'll read
the story there.  If it looks more interesting, then I'll open the link
to the /. story and follow the links to the actual story.

>>> Sarcasm? :-P
>>
>> Or perhaps to find out what the latest processor is that you might be
>> able to afford?
>
> For that, I go to various shopping websites. I visit Tom's Hardware to
> find out which products have good performance.

Bingo.  Thank you, you've made my point.  You *can* actually learn stuff
by reading about it on the 'net.

>>> Want to bet that the BBC has servers all over the world?
>>
>> So you just happened to get a crappy connection, while I got a good
>> one?
>
> Or the BBC offers different quality levels in different parts of the
> world? Heck, maybe they're even using a different codec or something? I
> don't know.

I see.  So the BBC offers really crap quality to those who pay the
licensing fee in the UK, but offers really good quality to those who
don't?

>> Then your eyes are better than mine, or you got a really crappy
>> connection.
>
> Yes. Because it's the connection that determines the picture quality,
> not the sender. Oh, wait...

Yes, it is the connection that determines the picture quality.  If I only
have a 32 Kbps connection, I'm not going to get a good quality HD picture.

> Sure, it's all compressed. But that almost always means lossy
> compression. You have to trade how much bandwidth you have for what
> level of picture quality you want. And that's the problem - it seems
> that to stream realtime over the Internet, you have to accept really low
> picture quality.

Would you like me to take a picture of Netflix streaming on my 10' wide
screen with a 3 Mbps ADSL connection?  Would that make you happy?

Jim

Post a reply to this message