POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : If infomercials were true... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:23:41 EDT (-0400)
  If infomercials were true... (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: If infomercials were true...
Date: 16 Dec 2011 09:38:22
Message: <4eeb57de@news.povray.org>
Francois Labreque <fla### [at] videotronca> wrote:
> Quite the contrary.  I think stupidity is spread pretty much uniformly
> across the Globe.  It just shows up differently in different areas.

  Culture and education tend to either diminish or aggravate it, though.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Dec 2011 15:53:02
Message: <4eebafae$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/16/2011 7:38 AM, Warp wrote:
> Francois Labreque<fla### [at] videotronca>  wrote:
>> Quite the contrary.  I think stupidity is spread pretty much uniformly
>> across the Globe.  It just shows up differently in different areas.
>
>    Culture and education tend to either diminish or aggravate it, though.

Depends on what you define as culture, and education. In one sense, the
later can subsume some crazy, and bring more "rational sounding" things
to the surface. However, to have those things surface, in trade for the
truly crazy shit, there has to be a culture that promotes the idea that
they exist.

It also requires that the people thinking those things, at some point,
decide they have had enough education, or that some part of it is
inconvenient for them, and thus, stop trying to figure out if it makes
sense, or just sounds slightly more plausible.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 16 Dec 2011 20:25:21
Message: <4eebef81$1@news.povray.org>

>> On 15/12/2011 02:21 AM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm. I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that the only
>>> American commercials that end up in the UK are from the people that SNL
>>> made fun of via the "Spishak" skits, in which they tried to sell people
>>> everything from, "Home dentistry kits", to, "Its both a dessert topping
>>> and a floor wax!" Sadly, I also suspect that, if its being shown there,
>>> that there are in fact enough morons in the UK to make it worth trying
>>> to sell it too.
>>
>> Fact: There are stupid people *everywhere*. (Terrifying, I know...)
>> Though I suspect they vary in concentration.
>
> Quite the contrary. I think stupidity is spread pretty much uniformly
> across the Globe. It just shows up differently in different areas.

Stupidity can be deadly by itself. In some areas, it's more deadly
while, in some others, there are laws and peoples available to maintain
most stupids alive.

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 20 Dec 2011 06:24:53
Message: <4ef07085$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/16/2011 9:05 AM, Francois Labreque wrote:

> Quite the contrary. I think stupidity is spread pretty much uniformly
> across the Globe. It just shows up differently in different areas.

This is indeed the Second Law of Stupidity, which you can read at:

http://www.ecotopia.com/webpress/Stupidity/

I first read this article (or a mirror of it) from a link on this group,
so this is merely payback.

Regards,
John