POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hollow Earth Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:27:16 EDT (-0400)
  Hollow Earth (Message 1 to 10 of 28)
From: Warp
Subject: Hollow Earth
Date: 9 Nov 2011 16:21:08
Message: <4ebaeec4@news.povray.org>
Everybody probably knows that there are some crazy (ok, delusional) people
who seriously believe in a flat Earth (for a reason that completely escapes
me, if mental illnesses or seriously low IQs are disregarded).

  That's not the only crazy hypothesis that some people seriously believe.
Another one is the hollow Earth hypothesis. There really are people out
there who seriously and honestly believe this (or at the very least consider
it plausible). And not only that the Earth is hollow, but that there's an
"inner sun" and an advanced civilization inside the Earth.

  There many several-hours-long pseudodocumentaries about this subject
(some even shown on TV channels such as the History Channel; go figure),
but for the life of me I cannot find even one single source that would
even *attempt* to explain the physics of this, which is what I would be
most interested in hearing (because it always amuses me when these people
try to struggle to explain how physical impossibilities are actually
possible). Granted, I have only skimmed through the many videos trying
to catch a glimpse of even the simples physical explanation, and I have
read the Wikipedia article on the subject, to no avail. For example one
pseudo-documentary goes on and on and on and on about ancient myths, more
recent myths, folklore, wild conspiracy theories (often including nazis)
and so on, but not even one single attempt at explaining the *physics* of
a hollow Earth with an "inner sun" and a civilization living inside there.

  In fact, most of these pseudodocumentaries are extremely vague about
the details. They often don't even mention *where* exactly this supposed
advanced civilization resides. On the inner surface of the hollow crust?
Somewhere else? Where? They all only talk about a civilization living inside
the Earth without going into more detail. Just inside there, somewhere,
somehow.

  The thing is, even if the shell of the hollow Earth would be strong enough
to not to collapse under its own gravity (which btw is physically impossible,
as no material is even nearly that strong, taking into account the mass of
the Earth), anything on the inner surface of this shell would fall into the
central "inner sun" due to that sun's gravity. There is no force of gravity,
or any other force pointing outwards inside this hollow shell. An "inner sun"
would cause anything on the inner surface of the shell to fall into it.

  I would like to see their attempt to explain this away with their
pseudophysics. It would be amusing. I just can't find any such explanation.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message