POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is this the end of the world as we know it? Server Time
9 Sep 2024 05:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Is this the end of the world as we know it? (Message 511 to 520 of 545)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Is this the end of the world as we know it?
Date: 24 Oct 2011 06:37:06
Message: <4ea53fd2$1@news.povray.org>
>> What if they said "We'll give you $150,000 more each year to move to
>> London"?
>
> That's almost a hundred grand in UK currency. Nobody earns that much.

Rather than just *say* that, I decided to go and check with someone who
knows more than me. And according to the Office of National Statistics,
I'm right. :-P

More precisely: I found income statistics which cover
- Data gathered for 2010.
- All regions of the UK.
- All sectors of employment.
- All ages, races and so forth.
- Full-time employment only.
- Total income. (Base pay + overtime, bonuses, etc.)
According to that data, the 90th percentile for income is roughly
£50,000/year.

In other words, if you earn more than £50k, you are in the top 10% of
the entire [full-time employed] population of this country. And that's
*half* the income you're talking about. :-P

(I can't reliably extrapolate what percentile £100k would be. There
isn't enough data. Any answer you could come up with would just be
guessing at this point.)

Looking at a different report covering April 2011 to June 2011, I get
£47k as the 90th percentile. (This report might include part-time
employment, I'm not sure. Regardless, it's a very similar figure.)

Post a reply to this message