From: Mike Raiford
Date: 24 Oct 2011 09:43:33
Message: <4ea56b85@news.povray.org>
On 9/30/2011 10:45 AM, Invisible wrote:
> On 30/09/2011 04:26 PM, Mike Raiford wrote:
>
>> Some, and maybe all of that is happening, but it isn't done by filling
>> out scientific method worksheets like I had to do in school.
>
> Those scientific method worksheets we had to do at school... I work in a
> company where people perform ACTUAL SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENTS, and let me
> tell you, it looks /nothing like/ anything you saw at school!

Nothing in the real world ever does. :)

> (On the other hand, there /is/ an absurd amount of paperwork involved...)

I can imagine the amount of detail they need to go into to produce the
type of testing feedback their clients need. But, IIRC the company you
work for provides analysis services, so I would expect that to be thorough

>> Definitely. Rote memorization teaches nothing, except how to memorize.
>
> This.
>
> I still think they should teach String Theory in schools - to
> demonstrate how even though something is widely respected, has brilliant
> people working on it, and involves amazingly complex mathematics, that
> doesn't make it science. Being testable makes it science.

Then your average folk will start whining and crying about how hard
science is and how it's not practical.
--
~Mike