POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is this the end of the world as we know it? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Is this the end of the world as we know it? (Message 36 to 45 of 545)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Is this the end of the world as we know it?
Date: 30 Sep 2011 14:56:56
Message: <4e8610f8$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 13:49:31 -0400, Alain wrote:

>>> In short, a skill that isn't taught often enough is that of critical
>>> thinking.
>>
>> Definitely. Rote memorization teaches nothing, except how to memorize.
>>

> The question is often in the form of: I wonder what I could find if I
> watch this or that? Is there anything hiding behind that? What would
> appen if I do something <insert qualificatif>? Is that wild legent,
> myth, urban legend, beleif,... actualy based on some fact? What if that
> crack head could be onto something in his divagations?

That's one of the things I really like about Mythbusters.  They may not
get the 'science' right all the time, but they are teaching important
skills in problem decomposition and building a test.  If they ever
changed the program so as to lose the elements of "developing their
tests", the show would lose a lot of its appeal.

> Sometimes, it goes straight to perform some experiment, do some
> observations.

Yep.

Jim

Post a reply to this message