POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is this the end of the world as we know it? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:12:39 EDT (-0400)
  Is this the end of the world as we know it? (Message 31 to 40 of 545)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Is this the end of the world as we know it?
Date: 30 Sep 2011 12:57:32
Message: <4e85f4fc@news.povray.org>
> On 30/09/2011 05:38 PM, Darren New wrote:
> > On 9/30/2011 8:32, Warp wrote:
> >> That list prominently lacks the crucial concepts of control(led testing)
> >> and peer reviewing.
> >
> > There's plenty of that. Co-students mocking you, and the teacher grading
> > you. ;-)

> Whereas in *real* scientice, it's other eminent scientists who mock you...

  That's the whole point. If your results stand up to that kind of
scrutiny, you're a winner. (See eg. the paper named "100 authors against
Einstein".)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 30 Sep 2011 12:59:49
Message: <4e85f585$1@news.povray.org>
>>> There's plenty of that. Co-students mocking you, and the teacher grading
>>> you. ;-)
>
>> Whereas in *real* scientice, it's other eminent scientists who mock you...
>
>    That's the whole point. If your results stand up to that kind of
> scrutiny, you're a winner. (See eg. the paper named "100 authors against
> Einstein".)

What worries me is the possibility of a theory not being taken seriously
because nobody likes it, rather than because the theory doesn't work...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/