POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is this the end of the world as we know it? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:13:45 EDT (-0400)
  Is this the end of the world as we know it? (Message 156 to 165 of 545)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Is this the end of the world as we know it?
Date: 7 Oct 2011 23:54:13
Message: <4e8fc965@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 15:48:35 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 10/7/2011 2:38, Stephen wrote:
>> That is a good point. But I've reached a point where I feel that
>> computers and their software are no longer devices that need to be
>> studied, understood and mastered but used as tools. My life and
>> interests have changed over time.
>
> Plus, Linux vs Windows isn't really that big a difference, if you really
> want to study something new. Learn how Lisp Machines worked,

Ah, Lisp machines.  Been a long time since I saw one of those.  ATC
trainer project that I worked on in college was built on one of those
things; one of the geniuses (seriously) who worked on that code explained
how on the system we were using he could change how the instruction
pointer ran and break the machine.

Pretty incredible piece of hardware.  Can't remember who made it,
timeframe was the early 90's.

> or how
> AmigaOS was organized, or how Singularity works, rather than studying
> two OSes that are at this point overall pretty similar.

Architecturally they're fairly different, though.  Depends on what
aspects you want to study, and how much access you have to the underlying
code (with Windows, there is an academic source license available IIRC).

Jim

Post a reply to this message