POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A musical dilemma Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:05 EDT (-0400)
  A musical dilemma (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Warp
Subject: A musical dilemma
Date: 22 Sep 2011 13:49:25
Message: <4e7b7525@news.povray.org>
I bought the game Kameo purely because of the cover image. The game is
quite ok, and has a surprisingly *epic* soundtrack.

  One track especially makes me wonder: Hero's Theme. I'm all but certain
that I have heard this melody, or something very similar, somewhere else,
but I just can't remember where. What could it be? Maybe another game?
A movie? Something else?

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE9BE3H01-g

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

Sounds like every military march written. Very reminiscent of the music they
play during the USA "join the marines" advertisements, for example.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message

>    I bought the game Kameo purely because of the cover image. The game is
> quite ok, and has a surprisingly *epic* soundtrack.
>
>    One track especially makes me wonder: Hero's Theme. I'm all but certain
> that I have heard this melody, or something very similar, somewhere else,
> but I just can't remember where. What could it be? Maybe another game?
> A movie? Something else?
>
>    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE9BE3H01-g

Reminds me of "Hunt for Red October" - at least the beginning.

Tom

Post a reply to this message

>    I bought the game Kameo purely because of the cover image. The game is
> quite ok, and has a surprisingly *epic* soundtrack.
>
>    One track especially makes me wonder: Hero's Theme. I'm all but certain
> that I have heard this melody, or something very similar, somewhere else,
> but I just can't remember where. What could it be? Maybe another game?
> A movie? Something else?
>
>    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE9BE3H01-g

I suspect you heard the same song in another context (perhaps in some
user-created video or another online).  Assuming that's not the case,
however, there's a chance you're reminded of a song from the Metal Gear
Solid series.  Here's one rendition of the mane theme that's a bit similar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNVCD1dsnJI#t=05m31s

Interestingly this theme (the Metal Gear one, less so the Kameo one) is
pretty blatantly lifted from one by the Soviet composer Gregory
Sviridov, so if this what you were reminded of there's two levels of
indirection to the original source.

Post a reply to this message

On 9/22/2011 3:33 PM, Kevin Wampler wrote:

> I suspect you heard the same song in another context (perhaps in some
> user-created video or another online). Assuming that's not the case,
> however, there's a chance you're reminded of a song from the Metal Gear
> Solid series. Here's one rendition of the mane theme that's a bit similar:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNVCD1dsnJI#t=05m31s

On further inspection, this slightly different theme from the MGS series
is a better fit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIvdj2dwfxE#t=2m13s

You can still hear its relation to the initial MGS theme, but now it's
much more similar to the one from Kameo.

Post a reply to this message

> I bought the game Kameo purely because of the cover image. The game is
> quite ok, and has a surprisingly *epic* soundtrack.
>
>   One track especially makes me wonder: Hero's Theme. I'm all but certain
> that I have heard this melody, or something very similar, somewhere else,
> but I just can't remember where. What could it be? Maybe another game?
> A movie? Something else?
>
>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE9BE3H01-g
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

It reminds me quite a bit of a few things by Vangelis... Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSETU2Vt6qM

Also, living in Finland, I imagine you've heard a similar tune or two by
Sibelius over the course of a lifetime ;-)

Best Regards,
Mike C.

Post a reply to this message

Kevin Wampler <wam### [at] uwashingtonedu> wrote:
> On 9/22/2011 3:33 PM, Kevin Wampler wrote:
> >
> > I suspect you heard the same song in another context (perhaps in some
> > user-created video or another online). Assuming that's not the case,
> > however, there's a chance you're reminded of a song from the Metal Gear
> > Solid series. Here's one rendition of the mane theme that's a bit similar:
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNVCD1dsnJI#t=05m31s

> On further inspection, this slightly different theme from the MGS series
> is a better fit:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIvdj2dwfxE#t=2m13s

> You can still hear its relation to the initial MGS theme, but now it's
> much more similar to the one from Kameo.

  Never played Metar Gear Solid, so it's probably not why it sounds
familiar.

  The style of the music is reminiscent of Pirates of the Caribbean
(especially the main theme), but the melody is quite different. However,
I'm almost certain I'm not confusing the Kameo music with this.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>    Never played Metar Gear Solid, so it's probably not why it sounds
> familiar.

Have you watched the Chronicles of Narnia movies?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f16ZMYW99eg#t=0m37s

Post a reply to this message

>> I bought the game Kameo purely because of the cover image. The game is
>> quite ok, and has a surprisingly *epic* soundtrack.
>>
>>    One track especially makes me wonder: Hero's Theme. I'm all but certain
>> that I have heard this melody, or something very similar, somewhere else,
>> but I just can't remember where. What could it be? Maybe another game?
>> A movie? Something else?
>>
>>    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE9BE3H01-g
>>
>> --
>>                                                            - Warp
>
> It reminds me quite a bit of a few things by Vangelis... Example:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSETU2Vt6qM

Good call!

Now, I'll be humming this for the forseeable future

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM2jqv0jEOQ

(Not that I'm complaining...)