POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quoth the raven, "nevermore". Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:16:35 EDT (-0400)
  Quoth the raven, "nevermore". (Message 29 to 38 of 48)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: Quoth the raven, "nevermore".
Date: 27 Sep 2011 15:45:02
Message: <4e8227be@news.povray.org>
Le 2011/09/27 05:57, Invisible a écrit :
>>> oh god...
>>
>> You wouldn't credit it. ^^
>
> According to my Latin dictionary:
>
> "credo" "I believe"
>
> Does anybody /else/ think it's weird that the Romans are the people who
> hunted down and murdered Jesus Christ, and yet all the most official
> Christian stuff is written in Latin?

For about 3 centuries, it was a prety common pastime to hunt down and
execute christians just about everywhere. Things started to change
around the 4th century when the first Roman Emperor actualy converted to
christianity. It's about during that time frame that the new testament
was finaly put down in writing...

Post a reply to this message

>> Does anybody /else/ think it's weird that the Romans are the people who
>> hunted down and murdered Jesus Christ, and yet all the most official
>> Christian stuff is written in Latin?
>
> For about 3 centuries, it was a prety common pastime to hunt down and
> execute christians just about everywhere. Things started to change
> around the 4th century when the first Roman Emperor actualy converted to
> christianity. It's about during that time frame that the new testament
> was finaly put down in writing...

OK, and now I'm wondering what the hell Christianity was called before
Jesus Christ was born. :-P

Post a reply to this message

Le 28/09/2011 10:08, Invisible a écrit :
> now I'm wondering what the hell Christianity was called before Jesus
> Christ was born.

It's even worst, only the last three years or so did he preach.
And Jesus Christ was not born. Jesus was born.
(Christ is a literal translation of Messiah in hebrew and it is usually
related to an onction)
At best, Jesus Christ starts with John the Baptiste in a river...

Post a reply to this message

Le 2011/09/28 04:24, Le_Forgeron a écrit :
> Le 28/09/2011 10:08, Invisible a écrit :
>> now I'm wondering what the hell Christianity was called before Jesus
>> Christ was born.
>
> It's even worst, only the last three years or so did he preach.
> And Jesus Christ was not born. Jesus was born.
> (Christ is a literal translation of Messiah in hebrew and it is usually
> related to an onction)
> At best, Jesus Christ starts with John the Baptiste in a river...

Now, in the nativity, it's stated that it was during a Roman census.
There was NO census around year 1.
There was one about 30 years earlier, and another 15 years later...

And, there have never been a year zero... Try to write 0 in the Roman
numbers that where used when our calendar was established. That's why a
century start on year xx01 and not xx00.

Post a reply to this message