POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A rare moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:29:28 EDT (-0400)
  A rare moment (Message 65 to 74 of 84)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: A rare moment
Date: 24 Sep 2011 15:27:20
Message: <4e7e2f18$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 14:37:34 +0200, andrel wrote:

> On 24-9-2011 11:10, andrel wrote:
>
>> It is also my experience that people who think of themselves as
>> competitive are a disaster in any organization. Not the least by
>> forcing more cooperative people out. It is in my opinion one of the
>> main reasons there are not so many women in top positions. They,
>> rightly, prefer a good working environment over one where people break
>> their promises and tell you afterwards that it was just a game.
>> Implying that you are not a good sport, even childish, if you complain
>> about it. So I will speak out if someone is trying to pass on
>> competitiveness as being part of being human.
>
> I knew I was looking for a metaphor here. I had the image, but could not
> name the concept. Funny how a mind works. It is this: competitive people
> are the tumors of society. They grow by extracting nutrients from others
> and, if not treated, will kill the organisation they grow in.

I agree with Darren - that is a bit harsh.

You are assuming all competition is harmful, but it isn't.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 25 Sep 2011 05:54:14
Message: <4E7EFA45.2090001@gmail.com>
On 24-9-2011 21:27, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 14:37:34 +0200, andrel wrote:
>
>> On 24-9-2011 11:10, andrel wrote:
>>
>>> It is also my experience that people who think of themselves as
>>> competitive are a disaster in any organization. Not the least by
>>> forcing more cooperative people out. It is in my opinion one of the
>>> main reasons there are not so many women in top positions. They,
>>> rightly, prefer a good working environment over one where people break
>>> their promises and tell you afterwards that it was just a game.
>>> Implying that you are not a good sport, even childish, if you complain
>>> about it. So I will speak out if someone is trying to pass on
>>> competitiveness as being part of being human.
>>
>> I knew I was looking for a metaphor here. I had the image, but could not
>> name the concept. Funny how a mind works. It is this: competitive people
>> are the tumors of society. They grow by extracting nutrients from others
>> and, if not treated, will kill the organisation they grow in.
>
> I agree with Darren - that is a bit harsh.

Sure, I know that.

> You are assuming all competition is harmful, but it isn't.

I know, but there is a general idea that all competition is beneficial.
That is the implicit assumption under (neo)liberalism. Sometimes you
have to exaggerate to get a message across.

Look at the disasters in the financial world, look at the industry and
organizations for places that you might like to work in and those that
you don't.

Is all competition always beneficial?

Look also at a cross section of a town or your family. How many are
competing for resources or jobs just because they like it?

Then ask yourself the question, are all humans competitive by nature?

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:54:13 +0200, andrel wrote:

>> You are assuming all competition is harmful, but it isn't.
>
> I know, but there is a general idea that all competition is beneficial.
> That is the implicit assumption under (neo)liberalism. Sometimes you
> have to exaggerate to get a message across.

Depends on the audience.  Some audiences look at such exaggeration and
say "this person has gone off the rails" and stop listening completely.

> Look at the disasters in the financial world, look at the industry and
> organizations for places that you might like to work in and those that
> you don't.

I've been observing the problems in the financial world, and to
reiterate, I never said *all* competition was *good* competition.

> Is all competition always beneficial?

No, and I never made that claim.  I've explicitly said that there is
beneficial competition and harmful competition.

> Look also at a cross section of a town or your family. How many are
> competing for resources or jobs just because they like it?

It isn't a question of liking it.  "Nature" doesn't mean "we do this only
because we like it".

> Then ask yourself the question, are all humans competitive by nature?

I come to the same conclusion - they are.  That some choose to suppress
the natural instinct doesn't mean they aren't competitive by nature.
Again, humans have the ability to suppress instincts.  Some forgo
reproduction as well - does that mean humans aren't driven by the
instinct to reproduce?

Jim

Post a reply to this message