POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A rare moment : Re: A rare moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:25:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A rare moment
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Sep 2011 12:30:12
Message: <4e7f5714$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:54:13 +0200, andrel wrote:

>> You are assuming all competition is harmful, but it isn't.
>
> I know, but there is a general idea that all competition is beneficial.
> That is the implicit assumption under (neo)liberalism. Sometimes you
> have to exaggerate to get a message across.

Depends on the audience.  Some audiences look at such exaggeration and
say "this person has gone off the rails" and stop listening completely.

> Look at the disasters in the financial world, look at the industry and
> organizations for places that you might like to work in and those that
> you don't.

I've been observing the problems in the financial world, and to
reiterate, I never said *all* competition was *good* competition.

> Is all competition always beneficial?

No, and I never made that claim.  I've explicitly said that there is
beneficial competition and harmful competition.

> Look also at a cross section of a town or your family. How many are
> competing for resources or jobs just because they like it?

It isn't a question of liking it.  "Nature" doesn't mean "we do this only
because we like it".

> Then ask yourself the question, are all humans competitive by nature?

I come to the same conclusion - they are.  That some choose to suppress
the natural instinct doesn't mean they aren't competitive by nature.
Again, humans have the ability to suppress instincts.  Some forgo
reproduction as well - does that mean humans aren't driven by the
instinct to reproduce?

Jim