POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A rare moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:32:30 EDT (-0400)
  A rare moment (Message 11 to 20 of 84)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: A rare moment
Date: 20 Sep 2011 23:58:04
Message: <4e7960cc$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 00:27:48 +0200, andrel wrote:

> Just a quick note: competitiveness is partly cultural. In some countries
> students compete with every other student and the percentage of students
> that pass is fixed. In other countries you pass if you meet a certain
> level.

I think competitiveness is part of human nature.  Competition to find the
'best' mate, for example - something that drives the race to continue.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 21 Sep 2011 04:16:05
Message: <4e799d45$1@news.povray.org>
>> Think about it. In a competition, you win by making somebody else lose.
>
> Of course, the real world is competitive. What you have done, by denying
> the existence of competition is sent someone into society who is
> ill-prepared to deal with that society.

I think anybody who takes it to the extreme of /denying/ that life is
competitive sometimes is, at best, misguided.

In my humble opinion, the society I see around me is too competitive.
There's too much emphasis on beating somebody else as a way to get what
you want. I think it's very valuable to teach children (and anybody else
who'll listen) that your victory doesn't always have to come at the cost
of somebody else's defeat. Indeed, sometimes your gain can be
*everybody's* gain.

True, sometimes it can't, and you need to understand that. Sometimes
there can be only one winner. But it doesn't always have to be that way.

> Learning competition means understanding that you will not always come
> out on top. It's about learning to be fair to others. It means giving
> the other side due consideration. I for one welcome competition in our
> schools.

No, that's "cooperation". "Competition" is where you disregard everybody
else and beat them out of the way by any means possible so that you get
what you want.

> That statement by that teacher is dangerously ill-conceived, rather than
> insightful.

The sentiment can be taken to unhealthy extremes. Considering only the
statement I witnessed, it's not really possible to say whether they took
it that far or not.

Post a reply to this message