POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A rare moment : Re: A rare moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A rare moment
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Sep 2011 04:20:21
Message: <4e799e45$1@news.povray.org>
> Just a quick note: competitiveness is partly cultural.

I hear China and Japan have more cooperative cultures, whereas America
is the stereotypically competitive one. I have no idea whether this has
any basis in fact.

> In some countries
> students compete with every other student and the percentage of students
> that pass is fixed. In other countries you pass if you meet a certain
> level.

This is The Real WTF.

A student's grades should *always* be based on fixed criteria. Otherwise
the grades only compare you to your classmates. Well guess what?
Employers aren't interested in whether you're better than your
classmates or not. (You're probably never going to see them ever again
anyway.) They're interested in whether you're capable of doing a given
job. A relative grade doesn't tell them that; an absolute one could.