POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:25:40 EDT (-0400)
  Data transfer (Message 51 to 60 of 195)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Data transfer
Date: 13 Sep 2011 12:30:40
Message: <4e6f8530$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 09:07:26 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> On 12/09/2011 10:20 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 21:17:02 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not aware of any Unix system which *defaults* to letting remote
>>> users access the entire filesystem if they know the root password.
>>> Probably because it's a stunningly bad idea, unless the local network
>>> is trusted. But anyway...
>>
>> Every unix system can do this with something like sshfs installed - on
>> the client side only - and sshd running on the server.
>
> Yes, if you /install stuff/ you can do it.

sshd is installed by default with Linux.  I have to put something on the
client side only, not on the server.

> My point is that Windows lets you do this by default. Nothing to
> install, nothing to configure. It's the *default* configuration state,
> unless you purposely changed it.

That's because back in the early days of Windows, Bill Gates infamously
said that the OS shouldn't come between the user and what the user wants
to do.  The default model back in the early days was no security at all.

And since then, there has been a desire to maintain backwards
compatibility while adding a security layer on top of it.

*nix, OTOH, was designed from the start with security in mind.

(Yes, NT arguably was as well - but the backwards compatibility thing
still was an issue with NT)

Jim

Post a reply to this message