POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:27:45 EDT (-0400)
  Data transfer (Message 176 to 185 of 195)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Data transfer
Date: 16 Sep 2011 16:45:32
Message: <4e73b56c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 16.09.2011 19:14, schrieb Francois Labreque:
> Le 2011-09-15 22:10, Darren New a écrit :
>> On 9/15/2011 18:19, Francois Labreque wrote:
>>> Heathen! Linux machines do not need to be rebooted. Ever.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure you're wrong on that one.
>>
> A previous version of that post had a smiley at the end. I guess it got
> lost during the vetting process.

Id didn't get lost - it just hid between the lines. I swear I can hear
it chuckling.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Sep 2011 00:36:38
Message: <4e7423d6$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 13:22:55 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 9/16/2011 12:57, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> You specified servers and desktops - not appliance devices.
>
> No I didn't.  I was responding to someone else's comment of
>
>  >> Heathen! Linux machines do not need to be rebooted. Ever.
>
> That didn't say "Linux machines with a full development environment
> installed and to which you have root access never have to be rebooted."
> That's my point here. :-)

That's fair.  You wrote your reply to a message I wrote, so clearly I
thought you were responding to what I said.

>> I've never had a need to, so I don't know.  Presumably you could stop a
>> service or unload/reload a driver, or drop to single user mode and then
>
> Cool. How do I drop to single-user mode on my cell phone?

Probably depends on the phone.  Like I said, I've never needed to find
out, so I don't know.

> Again, you're making assumptions that the linux in your phone (or your
> cable box or your credit card terminal) is like the linux in your
> desktop or server machine.

Linux is a kernel.  I'm not making assumptions about the kernel.

Jim

Post a reply to this message