POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Revelations Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Revelations (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Invisible
Subject: Revelations
Date: 5 Sep 2011 06:33:13
Message: <4e64a569$1@news.povray.org>
Last night, as I sat waiting for some compute-bound task to finish, I
was idly wandering through the contents of my hard drive. Suddenly, I
stumbled upon something utterly unexpected: I found a render I never
knew I had.

Literally. I have no recollection of designing this scene, even though
it's moderately complex. I certainly have no recollection of waiting for
it to finish rendering - despite the fact that the render time is
/obviously/ measured in multiple *months*! O_O

Most puzzlingly of all, it /looks good/. Which is extremely rare for
anything *I* designed. :-o

OK, so I know what you're thinking. You're thinking I got this from
someone else, right? Well no, that's not it. Quite apart from the file
being almost 7GB in size and the POV-Ray source code being present, it's
/obviously/ directly related to all the other files in that folder,
which I /do/ remember making.

Basically, there's a folder containing a set of animations. Each one is
roughly 5 minutes in length, and they start off trivially simple and
gradually increase in complexity. I remember designing them all...
except the final one, which is much more impressive than all of the
rest, and would have had a much larger render time.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised I actually finished rendering all of
these. 5 minutes is a /long/ animation. That's a heck of a lot of frames
to render. (7,500 to be exact.) Unless you can keep the render time per
frame below a few seconds, that rapidly spirals into multiple months of
rendering. I remember sitting through the first few animations,
rendering low-res previews and tweaking the settings, etc. But I don't
recall rendering some of the later ones. And, again, the final one I
have no recollection of it ever existing.

In short, I just discovered a really cool animation I didn't know I
made. And it's finished! It's complete and everything.

Maybe I should put the whole set on YouTube? Then again, I'd have to
transcode it somehow. Currently all the videos are uncompressed. Up to a
certain resolution, that works. But once the image size gets large
enough, it stops being possible to play them uncompressed; my harddrive
isn't fast enough. Which is a bit of a problem, since I've yet to
discover a codec which preserves all the crispness and detail that I've
waited months to painstakingly render.

Even the mighty H.264 set to 9000 kbit/sec seems to blur and smudge my
works. :-( (And it doesn't appear to be possible to set the bitrate any
higher than that. The slider doesn't move any further.)

Post a reply to this message