POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Favorite waste of time Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Favorite waste of time (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: clipka
Subject: Favorite waste of time
Date: 20 Aug 2011 14:02:13
Message: <4e4ff6a5$1@news.povray.org>
Okay, what's "Handkante" in English? Let's consult Google... there,
second entry: "Handkante" on the German Wikipedia; chances are there's a
matching English entry...

     Handkante

Hm, that's just a disambiguation page; for anatomic use, see "Hand";
okay, take me there...

     Hand

Okay, let's go to the English article:

     Hand

Hm, no hint on how that particular part of the hand is called. But this
is interesting: I didn't know about this:

     Sesamoid bone

Okay, I guess I understand everything, except for this one word:

     Exaptation

Now what does "jury-rigged" mean? Does it have to do with a jury? Let's
look it up:

     Jury rig

Ah... hey, they mention "Jerry" as a pejorative term for German
soldiers; I always wanted to know where that came from, so...

     Jerry

Disambiguation Page

     Jerry (WWII) -> List of terms used for Germans

Ah, heard some of these before. See also...

     Anti-German sentiment

Hey, I didn't know that "House of Windsor" was a name the dynasty gave
to itself. I wonder why they chose this one...

     House of Windsor

Hm, nothing about that, at least not at first glance. But they mention a
plane - a German bomber plane that could reach London even in WW1;
didn't know such a thing existed. Let's have a look...

     Gotha G.IV

Interesting. But what on earth is a...

     Servo tab

Ah... occasionally used on a...

     Stabilator

Uh-huh... for example on the...

     North American F-100 Super Sabre

Ah, say what you will, but /this/ is still one of the most beautiful jet
fighters ever built.

     Century Series

     Convair F-102 Delta Dagger

     "Coke bottle configuration" -> Coke Bottle / Contour bottle design

Hey, this is cool: I didn't know they hade Coke in space... And what is
this?

     OpenCola (drink)

Cool - an open-source cola drink!

     Coca-Cola formula

     Cochineal
     Kermes Vermillio
     Vermillion
     "Name chops" -> Seal (Chinese) -> Seal (East Asia)
     "Moxa punk" -> Moxibustion
     "Breech babies" -> Breech birth
     Asynclitic birth
     Obstetric forceps -> Forceps in childbirth

Gee... How the **** did I end up /here/?

(And I didn't even mention all the pages that I just took a sidestep to
without following them further...)

Post a reply to this message

> (And I didn't even mention all the pages that I just took a sidestep to
> without following them further...)

lol ... like peeling an onion meets the shell game ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> Okay, what's "Handkante" in English? Let's consult Google... there,
> second entry: "Handkante" on the German Wikipedia; chances are there's a
> matching English entry...
>
> Handkante
>

> Hand
>
> Okay, let's go to the English article:
>
> Hand
>
> Hm, no hint on how that particular part of the hand is called.

The edge of your hand. The bit you chop with.

> Now what does "jury-rigged" mean? Does it have to do with a jury? Let's
> look it up:
>
> Jury rig

Naval term

> Ah... hey, they mention "Jerry" as a pejorative term for German
> soldiers; I always wanted to know where that came from, so...

Not necessarily pejorative, short for German. Hans and Fritz were used
as well. Same as Tommy for English, Taff, Jock and Paddy for Welsh,
Scots and Irish.

I was taught that Jerry Built was in use well before WWI and it
referenced a British builder.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/211600.html

> Hey, I didn't know that "House of Windsor" was a name the dynasty gave
> to itself. I wonder why they chose this one...
>
> House of Windsor

They were the house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha but during WWI changed it
to the House of Windsor as Windsor Castle has been a royal residence for
yonks.

I Like this:
Upon hearing that his cousin had changed the name of the British royal
house to Windsor, German Emperor Wilhelm II remarked jokingly that he
planned to see Shakespeare's play The Merry Wives of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> Okay, what's "Handkante" in English? Let's consult Google... there,
> second entry: "Handkante" on the German Wikipedia; chances are there's a
> matching English entry...
>
> Handkante

.
.
.

> OpenCola (drink)
>
> Cool - an open-source cola drink!
>
> Coca-Cola formula
>
> Cochineal
> Kermes Vermillio
> Vermillion
> "Name chops" -> Seal (Chinese) -> Seal (East Asia)
> "Moxa punk" -> Moxibustion
> "Breech babies" -> Breech birth
> Asynclitic birth
> Obstetric forceps -> Forceps in childbirth
>
> Gee... How the **** did I end up /here/?
>
> (And I didn't even mention all the pages that I just took a sidestep to
> without following them further...)

Isn't Wikipedia great? ;)
--
~Mike