POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Favorite waste of time : Favorite waste of time Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:26:27 EDT (-0400)
  Favorite waste of time
From: clipka
Date: 20 Aug 2011 14:02:13
Message: <4e4ff6a5$1@news.povray.org>
Okay, what's "Handkante" in English? Let's consult Google... there,
second entry: "Handkante" on the German Wikipedia; chances are there's a
matching English entry...

     Handkante

Hm, that's just a disambiguation page; for anatomic use, see "Hand";
okay, take me there...

     Hand

Okay, let's go to the English article:

     Hand

Hm, no hint on how that particular part of the hand is called. But this
is interesting: I didn't know about this:

     Sesamoid bone

Okay, I guess I understand everything, except for this one word:

     Exaptation

Now what does "jury-rigged" mean? Does it have to do with a jury? Let's
look it up:

     Jury rig

Ah... hey, they mention "Jerry" as a pejorative term for German
soldiers; I always wanted to know where that came from, so...

     Jerry

Disambiguation Page

     Jerry (WWII) -> List of terms used for Germans

Ah, heard some of these before. See also...

     Anti-German sentiment

Hey, I didn't know that "House of Windsor" was a name the dynasty gave
to itself. I wonder why they chose this one...

     House of Windsor

Hm, nothing about that, at least not at first glance. But they mention a
plane - a German bomber plane that could reach London even in WW1;
didn't know such a thing existed. Let's have a look...

     Gotha G.IV

Interesting. But what on earth is a...

     Servo tab

Ah... occasionally used on a...

     Stabilator

Uh-huh... for example on the...

     North American F-100 Super Sabre

Ah, say what you will, but /this/ is still one of the most beautiful jet
fighters ever built.

     Century Series

     Convair F-102 Delta Dagger

     "Coke bottle configuration" -> Coke Bottle / Contour bottle design

Hey, this is cool: I didn't know they hade Coke in space... And what is
this?

     OpenCola (drink)

Cool - an open-source cola drink!

     Coca-Cola formula

     Cochineal
     Kermes Vermillio
     Vermillion
     "Name chops" -> Seal (Chinese) -> Seal (East Asia)
     "Moxa punk" -> Moxibustion
     "Breech babies" -> Breech birth
     Asynclitic birth
     Obstetric forceps -> Forceps in childbirth

Gee... How the **** did I end up /here/?

(And I didn't even mention all the pages that I just took a sidestep to
without following them further...)