POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The other OS Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  The other OS (Message 101 to 110 of 130)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: The other OS
Date: 8 Aug 2011 17:59:31
Message: <4e405c43$1@news.povray.org>
Yeah, if you want that sort of stuff, then you have to read up on ActiveX,
which is basically "COM with a UI."

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 8 Aug 2011 18:00:47
Message: <4e405c8f$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/8/2011 14:46, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Now that one I haven't heard before....what's its origin?

CP/M, the proginator of MS-DOS.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Aug 2011 18:09:10
Message: <4e405e86@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 15:00:46 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 8/8/2011 14:46, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Now that one I haven't heard before....what's its origin?
>
> CP/M, the proginator of MS-DOS.

Ah, that makes sense now.  If I'd had to guess, that would've been my
guess. :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 9 Aug 2011 04:40:00
Message: <4e40f260@news.povray.org>
>    You are missing the point. You said:
>
>> OK, fair enough. However, I don't work with any file formats where such
>> trailing spaces would be significant.
>
>> I also don't work with any file formats which should ever contain a tab
>> character, so I've configured my editor to strip those too.
>
>    Which is contradictory with your earlier lamentation that you don't have
> any hex editor. (If you never work with any file formats where automatically
> stripping some characters breaks the file, what would you use a hex editor
> for?)

Sometimes I almost think you misunderstand me on purpose...

Binary files and text files aren't the same. Editing binary isn't the
same as editing text. If I'm editing text, then I /want/ my editor to do
helpful things like strip unnecessary spaces, convert tabs to spaces,
and so on and so forth. If I'm editing binary [which currently I can't,
but if I could...] I don't want anything to be changed unless I ask for it.

Post a reply to this message