POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The other OS : Re: The other OS Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:28:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The other OS
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Aug 2011 04:40:00
Message: <4e40f260@news.povray.org>
>    You are missing the point. You said:
>
>> OK, fair enough. However, I don't work with any file formats where such
>> trailing spaces would be significant.
>
>> I also don't work with any file formats which should ever contain a tab
>> character, so I've configured my editor to strip those too.
>
>    Which is contradictory with your earlier lamentation that you don't have
> any hex editor. (If you never work with any file formats where automatically
> stripping some characters breaks the file, what would you use a hex editor
> for?)

Sometimes I almost think you misunderstand me on purpose...

Binary files and text files aren't the same. Editing binary isn't the
same as editing text. If I'm editing text, then I /want/ my editor to do
helpful things like strip unnecessary spaces, convert tabs to spaces,
and so on and so forth. If I'm editing binary [which currently I can't,
but if I could...] I don't want anything to be changed unless I ask for it.