POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF moment Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Today's WTF moment (Message 41 to 50 of 64)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Today's WTF moment
Date: 6 Sep 2011 14:34:22
Message: <4e6667ae$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 02:41:12 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> On 9/6/2011 2:36 AM, Invisible wrote:
>> On 06/09/2011 02:12 AM, Alain wrote:
>>
>>> If you slowly heat very pure water, it can bet a good bit warmer that
>>> 100°C before it start to boil. There will be vapour escaping from the
>>> surface, but no ebulition, even in a open container. It's a dangerous
>>> situation, as any disturbance can cause explosive ebulition projecting
>>> scalding water everywhere.
>>
>> Legend has it that boiling water in a microwave oven has this effect. I
>> don't know of an authoritative source which can confirm or refute
>> that...
> Uh.. Mythbusters? They tried it, and it did. lol

I've also had it happen to me.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Sep 2011 14:35:08
Message: <4e6667dc@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 09:05:23 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> 96.2°C, a piffling 3.8° lower.
>>
>> Which is still not 100C no matter how you slice it.  The difference in
>> humidity, altitude, and other things makes cooking things that require
>> precise measurements (usually baked goods) slightly different than at
>> other altitudes and in other conditions.
>
> I would suggest that the wild variations in oven temperatures have a
> vastly bigger impact than a 4% difference in the boiling point of water.

My point is that 4% is still 4%.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Sep 2011 14:35:45
Message: <4e666801@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 09:04:13 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> On 06/09/2011 06:25 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 21:12:15 -0400, Alain wrote:
>>
>>> You can have water that stay liquid down to -10°C and possibly even
>>> less. You need a container with very smooth surface and no particles
>>> in suspention. In this state, a vibration can be just enough to cause
>>> almost instant crystalisation.
>>
>> Which is actually quite cool
>
> I see what you did there.

Wow, *completely* unintentional, that one.  Honest. :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 6 Sep 2011 15:59:03
Message: <4e667b87@news.povray.org>
On 9/6/2011 11:34, Jim Henderson wrote:
> I've also had it happen to me.

Me too.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 6 Sep 2011 21:11:59
Message: <4e66c4df@news.povray.org>
Le 2011/09/06 15:59, Darren New a écrit :
> On 9/6/2011 11:34, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I've also had it happen to me.
>
> Me too.

Put a pinch of croase sand in the container. It provide some angular
surfaces that will stimulate the bubble formation as the liquid reatch
the ebulition point. It will allow a gradual transition.
You can also rub the inside bottom of a container with fine sand paper.

About any rough surfaced material will do the trick.

Post a reply to this message

Le 2011/09/06 01:27, Jim Henderson a écrit :

>>> Not here at 4,000 feet - "normal" circumstances here have it boiling at
>>> a slightly lower temperature. :P
>>
>> 96.2°C, a piffling 3.8° lower.
>
> Which is still not 100C no matter how you slice it.  The difference in
> humidity, altitude, and other things makes cooking things that require
> precise measurements (usually baked goods) slightly different than at
> other altitudes and in other conditions.
>
>>> IOW, it all depends on how you define "normal".  (Hence my suggestion
>>> of reducing the atmospheric pressure, because here, lower pressure is
>>> 'normal').
>>
>> This is why the /actual/ specification is far more complicated. But for
>> any sane real-world purpose, you can more or less ignore such
>> technicallities.
>
> Baking is a real-world purpose.  An awareness of the 'normal' as well as
> 'current' environment are, for some things, absolutely *critical* in
> order to be successful.
>
> Jim

That's why, in some areas, you have cook books that gives several
cooking times sorted by altitude ranges.

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 21:15:32 -0400, Alain wrote:

> That's why, in some areas, you have cook books that gives several
> cooking times sorted by altitude ranges.

Yep, indeed it is.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> Le 2011/09/06 15:59, Darren New a écrit :
>> On 9/6/2011 11:34, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> I've also had it happen to me.
>>
>> Me too.
>>

> Put a pinch of croase sand in the container.

Yeah, because Croase sand goes so well with tea.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message

>> Put a pinch of croase sand in the container.
>
> Yeah, because Croase sand goes so well with tea.

Personally, I put sugar in it...

Post a reply to this message

>>> Put a pinch of croase sand in the container.
>>
>> Yeah, because Croase sand goes so well with tea.
>
> Personally, I put sugar in it...

I just stick a spoon in it.