POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cars 2 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Cars 2 (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: Cars 2
Date: 2 Jul 2011 13:20:01
Message: <web.4e0f5306568e4ca01f3645410@news.povray.org>
Graphically full of eye-candy.  Some of the lighting issues may have been
intentional.

There is plenty of action.

The story is probably Pixar's weakest to date.  There is no significant
character development and the chief villian is a cookie-cutter Evil Businessman.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> [-- text/plain, encoding 8bit, charset: iso-8859-1, 13 lines --]

> Graphically full of eye-candy.  Some of the lighting issues may have been
> intentional.

> There is plenty of action.

> The story is probably Pixar's weakest to date.  There is no significant
> character development and the chief villian is a cookie-cutter Evil Businessman.

  I heard it's the first commercial flop in Pixar's history.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>    I heard it's the first commercial flop in Pixar's history.

I didn't even know it existed. (Not that this is unusual, of course.)

So I asked Metacritic. Apparently some people really liked it.

I wonder if there's a rule of the Internet about that? If you ask enough
people about anything, at least one person will like it?

Post a reply to this message

>> I heard it's the first commercial flop in Pixar's history.
>
> I didn't even know it existed. (Not that this is unusual, of course.)
>
> So I asked Metacritic. Apparently some people really liked it.
>
> I wonder if there's a rule of the Internet about that? If you ask enough
> people about anything, at least one person will like it?

Just as you can't please everybody all the time, you also just can't
displease everybody, even some times...

Post a reply to this message

> John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > [-- text/plain, encoding 8bit, charset: iso-8859-1, 13 lines --]
>
> > Graphically full of eye-candy.  Some of the lighting issues may have been
> > intentional.
>
> > There is plenty of action.
>
> > The story is probably Pixar's weakest to date.  There is no significant
> > character development and the chief villian is a cookie-cutter Evil Businessman.
>
>   I heard it's the first commercial flop in Pixar's history.

I don't know if $68 million during the opening weekend counts as a *flop*, but
the critics have not liked this one as much as previous offerings.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> >   I heard it's the first commercial flop in Pixar's history.

> I don't know if $68 million during the opening weekend counts as a *flop*, but
> the critics have not liked this one as much as previous offerings.

  Well, so far it's estimated to have a total money loss of about 92 millions,
making it the 9th least profitable movie of all time (based on worldwide
total gross).

  (Of course the movie is still playing in theaters so the position will
probably change considerably. However, successful movies usually have earned
their budgets by this point.)

--
                                                          - Warp