POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Sims meet Vista, wackiness ensues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:32:53 EDT (-0400)
  The Sims meet Vista, wackiness ensues (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Sherry K  Shaw
Subject: The Sims meet Vista, wackiness ensues
Date: 24 Jun 2011 22:22:45
Message: <4e054675@news.povray.org>
Today I spent, oh, I don't know, about a century and a half unscrewing
various Vista "features" on my brother-in-law's pc.  Then he decided
that he wanted to install The Sims Deluxe (plus a whole bunch of
expansions).  My sister had been playing the thing on her XP 'puter, no
problems.

Put CD in drive.  Accept legal crap.  Accept default locations.  Dialog
box finally appears in which to enter product key.

Product key is something like:  1234 - 1234567 - 1234567 - 1234
Entry fields have exactly enough space for:  123 - 123456 - 123456 - 123

See the problem?

So now I've spent another century and a half googling for a solution, to
no avail.  Anybody got any ideas?

--Sherry Shaw

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 04:24:22 +0200, Sherry K. Shaw <ten### [at] aolcom>
wrote:

> Today I spent, oh, I don't know, about a century and a half unscrewing
> various Vista "features" on my brother-in-law's pc.  Then he decided
> that he wanted to install The Sims Deluxe (plus a whole bunch of
> expansions).  My sister had been playing the thing on her XP 'puter, no
> problems.
>
> Put CD in drive.  Accept legal crap.  Accept default locations.  Dialog
> box finally appears in which to enter product key.
>
> Product key is something like:  1234 - 1234567 - 1234567 - 1234
> Entry fields have exactly enough space for:  123 - 123456 - 123456 - 123
>
> See the problem?
>
> So now I've spent another century and a half googling for a solution, to
> no avail.  Anybody got any ideas?
>
> --Sherry Shaw

A shot in the dark: try changing the font sizes in Windows

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

On 6/25/2011 5:37 AM, Nekar Xenos wrote:
> A shot in the dark: try changing the font sizes in Windows

This problem has cropped up for me several times on Windows 7.

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

> On 6/25/2011 5:37 AM, Nekar Xenos wrote:
>> A shot in the dark: try changing the font sizes in Windows
> This problem has cropped up for me several times on Windows 7.

This is actually pretty common in all versions of Windows, because the
dialog box layout has to be done by the application.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like

Post a reply to this message

> Today I spent, oh, I don't know, about a century and a half unscrewing
> various Vista "features" on my brother-in-law's pc. Then he decided that
> he wanted to install The Sims Deluxe (plus a whole bunch of expansions).
> My sister had been playing the thing on her XP 'puter, no problems.
>
> Put CD in drive. Accept legal crap. Accept default locations. Dialog box
> finally appears in which to enter product key.
>
> Product key is something like: 1234 - 1234567 - 1234567 - 1234
> Entry fields have exactly enough space for: 123 - 123456 - 123456 - 123
>
> See the problem?
>
> So now I've spent another century and a half googling for a solution, to
> no avail. Anybody got any ideas?
>
> --Sherry Shaw

Just enter all the digits, the fields are realy large enough to receive
them all, but the box is not large enough to show them all.
It appens prety often when you change the DPI setting. The application
ASSUME 75 or 96 DPI and have boxes size hard coded in pixels, the OS use
96 or 120.

Alain

Post a reply to this message