POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Statistics Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Statistics (Message 8 to 17 of 37)
<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Statistics
Date: 23 Jun 2011 11:51:05
Message: <4e0360e9@news.povray.org>
On 23/06/2011 04:43 PM, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> 3. Cars kill far more people than SARS ever has. Yet people are
>> terrified of SARS, and perfectly OK with cars.
>
>    Because cars are necessary, and hence the small risk is acceptable.
>
>    Sars and bird flu are not necessary and hence any risk whatsoever is
> unacceptable.

Or, to word it differently,

"Cars are unavoidable. SARS is unavoidable."

Just playing devil's advocate here...

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 23 Jun 2011 11:54:49
Message: <4e0361c9$1@news.povray.org>
On 23/06/2011 04:36 PM, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> Apparently a 2008 estimate suggests that 11.15 million murders are
>> committed per year in the USA. (Emphasis *estimate*.)
>
>    I would like to see some credible references to that. 11 million people
> is like nuking New York and a good chunk of its surroundings (New York
> has a population of something like 8 million). Each year.

My source is here:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=murder

No indication of where *their* source is, nor what the confidence
intervals on that figure is. (It *is* only an estimate, after all...) I
note that this is the number of *crimes*, not actually the number of
people murdered. (I'm not sure how these relate; is killing 7 people
counted as 1 crime or 7 crimes? Can killing a single person be several
crimes at once?)

>    Given that the US has a population of about 300 million, that kind of
> murder rate would make it deserted in about 27 years.

Disregarding the birth rate, I presume?

I agree though, it does sound a tad large just for the USA...

Post a reply to this message