POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A retro moment Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:29:21 EDT (-0400)
  A retro moment (Message 21 to 30 of 50)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: A retro moment
Date: 7 Jun 2011 11:29:08
Message: <4dee43c4$1@news.povray.org>

>>> Um, no. These are two entirely different things.
>>
>> In what way?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT_file_system#Design

Oh, I see. So the FAT is just a map of free clusters?

I don't think that impacts what I originally said though; you could
still cache it.

> In the same way that a linked list is an entirely different thing from a
> hashtable.

Conceptually, a dictionary is a dictionary, regardless of which data
structure you use to implement it.

Post a reply to this message

> Oh, I see. So the FAT is just a map of free clusters?

No. It's a file allocation table.

> I don't think that impacts what I originally said though; you could still
> cache it.

It is cached. It's just that the cache gets written when you close a file
after allocating space from the cache, because the system can't tell you're
going to copy more files.  Otherwirse, writing a big file would have to
slopping back and forth between three different tracks for every granule
written.

>> In the same way that a linked list is an entirely different thing from a
>> hashtable.
>
> Conceptually, a dictionary is a dictionary, regardless of which data
> structure you use to implement it.

And a linked list is not a dictionary.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like

Post a reply to this message

On 07/06/2011 04:39 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 6/7/2011 8:29, Invisible wrote:
>> Oh, I see. So the FAT is just a map of free clusters?
>
> No. It's a file allocation table.

That's like saying "an open set is any set that's open". This is a
useless description.

>> I don't think that impacts what I originally said though; you could still
>> cache it.
>
> It is cached. It's just that the cache gets written when you close a
> file after allocating space from the cache, because the system can't
> tell you're going to copy more files. Otherwirse, writing a big file
> would have to slopping back and forth between three different tracks for
> every granule written.

OK. But I still don't see why you can't cache the entire disk image on a
typical modern PC. (Obviously there was a time when this would have been
impractical.)

Post a reply to this message

> On 07/06/2011 04:39 PM, Darren New wrote:
>> On 6/7/2011 8:29, Invisible wrote:
>>> Oh, I see. So the FAT is just a map of free clusters?
>>
>> No. It's a file allocation table.
>
> That's like saying "an open set is any set that's open". This is a useless
> description.

You're sitting in front of google. And wikipedia.

> OK. But I still don't see why you can't cache the entire disk image on a
> typical modern PC. (Obviously there was a time when this would have been
> impractical.)

You can. But if you want to make it safe to remove the disk when it's
consistent, you still have to write it out after you make changes. I'm not
sure why you're not getting this point.  Floppy disks don't have a "remove
safely" feature. They have a hardware button on the front.