POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A retro moment : Re: A retro moment Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A retro moment
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Jun 2011 13:23:19
Message: <4dee5e87$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 18:13:05 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> On 07/06/2011 03:58 PM, Darren New wrote:
>> On 6/7/2011 7:49, Invisible wrote:
>>> You know, the rest of the filesystem is cached too,
>>
>> Not on a removable floppy drive.
>
> So, essentially, your entire argument is "the user can eject the disk at
> any time, therefore it's unsafe to cache anything".
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the contents of the disk be
> irrepairably corrupted *anyway*? That's why there's a disk activity
> light; so you don't hit eject while it's still writing stuff.

Having actually done this at several points in the past, I can assure you
that Darren is correct.  Caching removable devices tends to be *very* bad
for data integrity.

That's why, for example, in Windows (and on Linux), you need to "safely
remove" USB flash drives - they are cached for performance reasons.

Jim