POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random fact of the day Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Random fact of the day (Message 7 to 16 of 56)
<<< Previous 6 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Random fact of the day
Date: 1 Jun 2011 09:52:01
Message: <4de64401@news.povray.org>
>> Oh... my God! o_O
>
> OSes are like cities: built on top of the ruins of older ones...

This seems to be the main think that's broken about both Windows and
Linux. Too many decades of backwards compatibility.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 1 Jun 2011 12:20:59
Message: <4de666eb$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.06.2011 15:52, schrieb Invisible:
>>> Oh... my God! o_O
>>
>> OSes are like cities: built on top of the ruins of older ones...
>
> This seems to be the main think that's broken about both Windows and
> Linux. Too many decades of backwards compatibility.

Coincidentally that's exactly what made them successful in the first
place (as opposed to e.g. BeOS). You know, avoiding the hen-and-egg
problem of OS vs. applications.

Hm... which makes me think: Has there ever been any attempts yet to
implement a stand-alone JVM as an OS?

Post a reply to this message