POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Rare for a reason Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:12 EDT (-0400)
  Rare for a reason (Message 1 to 10 of 44)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Rare for a reason
Date: 23 Apr 2011 11:59:45
Message: <4db2f771$1@news.povray.org>
Pipe organs measure pitch in "feet". Bigger number = lower pitch. The
number is not /directly/ related to the physical size of the pipes,
although generally bigger numbers mean bigger pipes.

A "normal" organ stop has 8' pitch. The pipes controlled by the peddles
are normally 16' pitch (i.e., one octave lower). Most organs will also
have 4' and 2' pitches, and unless it's a really small organ, there's
usually at least one 16' stop.

Now, a *cathedral* pipe organ will have at least one 32' stop, and a
really powerful one might have several of them.

There are exactly two pipe organs in the entire world which have a 64'
stop. And here's why:

http://www.sydneyorgan.com/STH64.mp3 [Sydney Town Hall]
http://www.die-orgelseite.de/audio/atlanticcity_64ft.mp3 [Broadwalk Hall
Auditorium Organ, New Jersey]

(Many organs have a 64' stop which actually generates /harmonics of/ a
64' pitch, but only these two actually have true 64' pitch pipes.)

Worth it... :-P

Then again, the organ at Liverpool Cathedral has a 32' Double Open Bass
which the organ's designer referred to as "the expensive draft". When
played, it makes a vague fluttering sound. The louder 32' stops make a
more definite sort of noise. (As best as I can tell, from video
recordings made with professional equipment...) If 32' isn't that
useful, why bother with 64'?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/