POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Rare for a reason : Re: Rare for a reason Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rare for a reason
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 4 May 2011 08:22:34
Message: <4dc1450a$1@news.povray.org>

>>> I love how the harmonics look like completely randomly chosen numbers,
>>> with no obvious pattern at all.
>>
>> 64/1 = 64
>> 64/2 = 32
>> 64/3 = 21 1/3
>> 64/4 = 16
>> 64/5 = 12 4/5
>> 64/6 = 10 2/3
>> 64/7 = 9 1/7
>> 64/8 = 8
>> 64/9 = 7 1/9
>> 64/10 = 6 4/10
>>
>> Nope, no discernable pattern at all ;)
>
> Exactly. I mean, unless you happen to be able to compute 64/7 mentally,
> which normal humans can't.

You're not that much younger than me, so maybe there's something
fundamentally different between the school system in the UK vs. Canada,
but in the 2nd or 3rd grade, we had to learn our multiplication tables
by heart.

Normal humans should remember that 7 * 9 = 63.

Or if they don't, they should be able to guestimate that since 64 is
rather close to 70, there's a good chance that 64/7 would be just a bit
less than 70/7, which is easy to compute.

If not, I weep for humanity.