POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Rare for a reason Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Rare for a reason (Message 5 to 14 of 44)
<<< Previous 4 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Francois Labreque
Subject: Re: Rare for a reason
Date: 3 May 2011 08:41:22
Message: <4dbff7f2$1@news.povray.org>

> On 25/04/2011 20:23, Alain wrote:
>
>> And then, the harmonics of 64 are:
>> 32, 21 1/3, 16, 12 4/5, 10 2/3, 9 1/7, 8, 7 1/9, 6 4/10,....
>
> I love how the harmonics look like completely randomly chosen numbers,
> with no obvious pattern at all.

64/1 = 64
64/2 = 32
64/3 = 21 1/3
64/4 = 16
64/5 = 12 4/5
64/6 = 10 2/3
64/7 = 9 1/7
64/8 = 8
64/9 = 7 1/9
64/10 = 6 4/10

Nope, no discernable pattern at all
;)

From: Invisible
Date: 3 May 2011 08:47:41
Message: <4dbff96d$1@news.povray.org>
>> I love how the harmonics look like completely randomly chosen numbers,
>> with no obvious pattern at all.
>
> 64/1 = 64
> 64/2 = 32
> 64/3 = 21 1/3
> 64/4 = 16
> 64/5 = 12 4/5
> 64/6 = 10 2/3
> 64/7 = 9 1/7
> 64/8 = 8
> 64/9 = 7 1/9
> 64/10 = 6 4/10
>
> Nope, no discernable pattern at all ;)

Exactly. I mean, unless you happen to be able to compute 64/7 mentally,
which normal humans can't.

If it was notated some other way, the pattern might be more obvious. But
as it is...

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 3 May 2011 19:21:53
Message: <4dc08e11@news.povray.org>

> On 25/04/2011 20:23, Alain wrote:
>
>> And then, the harmonics of 64 are:
>> 32, 21 1/3, 16, 12 4/5, 10 2/3, 9 1/7, 8, 7 1/9, 6 4/10,....
>
> I love how the harmonics look like completely randomly chosen numbers,
> with no obvious pattern at all.

Harmonics are integer multiple of the base frequency, or integer
quotients of the base wave length having integer quotient of the power.

Armonic 1 is the base signal.
Armonic 2 have twice the frequency, or half the wave length, and half
the amplitude. For 64, it gives 32.

Nothing random here, not even a bad pseudo-random. It's totaly
deterministic.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> Nothing random here, not even a bad pseudo-random. It's totaly
> deterministic.

So is a psuedo-random number generator, and yet it still *looks* random.

Post a reply to this message